Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Joystick control for two electric boat motors fwd & rev

Status
Not open for further replies.

billofsoo

JOYSTICK CONTROL FOR 2 ELECTRIC MOTORS

Hi I have little electronics experience and have some questions.

I have a boat project and need to power two electric trolling motors using 2 - 12V batteries (one each). Each motor can go forward or reverse. I want to control the motors using a joystick.

For example: joystick forward - both motors F; joystick pulled back - both motor R; joystick right, left motor F, Right motor R; joystick left - left motor R, right motor F.

I know I need relays and fuses and of course a joystick and appropriate size wiring. I believe these motors need 30 amp fuses so I am aasuming they need 30A relays and a joystick that handles 30A.

Questions:

1. Can someone draw me a diagram on how to wire this setup? or describe...
2. what would be my materials list? I have a sense of what I need but don't have the proper vocabulary to look on online stores with any confidence.
3. Would a PDC board be useful here? I think the relays are built into this kind of board and you can buy them already built - if so, can you cite a source and the exact name of the unit I would need to do this project?

Thanks, I really need the help. I have attached a simple drawing of what the craft looks like.

BillofSoo

Using joysticks you certainly want to control motor rpm and direction.

For that purpose you will need the joystick controlling PWM signals and H-bridges to control the motors.

Boncuk

Ah, this is the point....I have no idea what these are. If I had a diagram and a parts list, I could have someone fabricate what I need. Would anyone be willing to put a drawing together? Thanks, BillofSoo

the joystick could be a pot that you twist for the variable speed motor control and if you had a switch you could turn them on/off with it...

Hi.

I just have to ask: Are you familiar to H bridges? Are you familiar to opamps?
Do you know how your joystick works?

I ask because: If you make a chematic and assemble it - and it don't work, you need to know why it doesn't work.

I'd say this is a kind of yob you'll hire somebody to make for you.

You prob have a good point. The motors are all or nothing...on or off so no device is needed to control speed. I have old joystick a bOard that was originally used. I might be better to bring it in to have replicated. The joystick is nrepaairqble. the board had 2 30A slays and on 10A that the negative circuit RM through. It seemed pretty simple.

Can any one suggest a 4 way joystick that can handle 30A that is reasonably priced?

Thanks

Thanks for the lead rony...I was just wondering. This joystick will be exposed to the elements on the deck of a boat. Would it be appropriate or should I be looking for something that moisture, rain, etc. would not interfere with?

The boat will be steered by the two trolling motors mounted underneath and forward under the hull. As well, for straight power, I will be using a 46# thrust trolling motor that will not be steerable and controlled separately from the two under the boat. The craft came with the two motors underneath so I wanted to use them for steering and to pilot the boat when not using the power 46# thrust motor. The smaller 18# thrust motors need 30 amp fuses and relays.

Does the joystick not need to be rated in some way for amperage? I thought it needed to have a 30A rating but last night a friend told me that the joystick only needs to handle enough amperage (this is my neophyte understanding of the conversation) to activate the switches on the relays. Does that make sense? Do the relays have a spec that tells you what amperage it needs to operate? Are joysticks rated?

I have a lot of questions as you can see.

Thanks for your help Rony.

Your friend is correct. The joystick only needs enough to "pick" the relays. The contacts on the relays need to be 30 amp rated. I would have to scratch my head for a while to figure out how to wire the relays.

I'm thinking it only needs 10 amps at most. I'm going to find and post a link to a joystick that I think will work. You may be able to confirm whether it would or not. I'll get back. Hoping you'll feel like scratching your head a bit - haha!
BillofSoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back