Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jon's Imaginarium – Industrial 24 Volt Microcontroller Interface, from EDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visitor

Interfacing a microcontroller to industrial systems, which often operate on 24 volt signals, can be a challenge. From EDN, Microcontroller Interfaces to 24V systems, provides wide-range bullet-proof I/O. It uses old-school MC1489 quad RS232 interface chips and will handle a wide input range of up to 30v. Unlike voltage divider inputs or optically-coupled signals, it handles a wide input range without any adjustments being required. Outputs are handled by ULN2803 peripheral driver chips.

Note: this has been posted previously in response to a forum question. I'm reposting it here so that it can easily be found in the future.
24v io edn.jpg

I like your other posts, but that's one I have to dispute!

It would work, but it is a terrible idea in practice.
A 1489 line receiver has a minimum input threshold of only around a volt and with trivial current at that; they will generally work at TTL logic levels.

The noise immunity using those would be nonexistent in a real industrial environment.

A properly designed 24V input interface has a fairly high threshold voltage and with enough input load to require a definite current above some threshold before the input is seen as "high".

eg. A Siemens S7-1200 PLC input needs 15V & 2.5mA minimum to switch on, and switches off at around 5V & 1mA.

And for a suitable output device, look at an MIC5891 - that's an 8 x high side driver suitable for 24V systems.

Open collector or ground-switched outputs vary from being frowned on to being downright illegal in some contexts as wiring fault is more likely to activate a device rather than be detected or blow a fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back