Job Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
Next week. I almost think I'm a shoo-in, if I don't screw up the interview. The reason is because they just hired my college, with whom I worked on many projects in the last 10 years. Out backgrounds are nearly identical, so since they hired him, it seems reasonable... The job requires digital, analog and imbedded processors. The digital and imbedded are NP, but I haven't really worked with analog since college. Yikes! I'll be cramming for the next 4 days, not sure that will be enough time.

Last edited:
Carefull!!

The interviewers may be reading this forum, they may even be active posters here.

JimB

I intend to be completely honest about my experience, and not embellish anything. I learnt long ago that if you ******** your way into something, you won't be happy and neither will those around you.

I don't know what your question is, if there is one. But these days, analogue design is largely done using simulation programmes such as LYspice.

Of course, you need the necessary background knowledge of analogue techniques to be able to use these programmes effectively and produce meaningful results.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
There isn't really a question I've been away from analog for quite some time, although I specialized in it in college. The biggest reason I came here in the first place was to discuss some of these basic issues and try to get a review in a more relaxed way. I've been using LT spice since coming here, or about a year. I'm a Pspice user from way, way back.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd study my ass off, keeping in mind the possible reasons they might have for picking you up not just what they have on their sheets. Your friend could probably add a lot more incite than we ever could.

But these days, analogue design is largely done using simulation programmes such as LYspice.

Not true, you need to know what your doing before you go into simulation. LTspice is hardly a high end simulator tool.

My best suggestion is for you to go in the interview relaxed. I know you will be feeling overwhelmed by anxiety, but this is a job killer. Look calm, cool, collected and act like your not needing the job. This may sound crazy at first, but if you think about it, you will see what I mean.

Think, I don't need this job and they will be lucky to have me, and breathe.

Hi Mike,

As long as I give my best effort, and don't do anything stupid, I can live with whatever results I get. Thanks!

Last edited:
Not true, you need to know what your doing before you go into simulation. LTspice is hardly a high end simulator tool.
Hi Mike,
Len did say:
Of course, you need the necessary background knowledge of analogue techniques to be able to use these programmes effectively and produce meaningful results.

LTspice can give you a good indication on how your analog circuit is going to perform in the real world. If it does not work in simulation there is a high probability it will not work in real life,,, if it works OK in simulation then there is a high probabilty it will work in the real world.

All a simulator does in actual fact is the maths calculations for the circuit you are designing.
Without a simulation program you would have to do the same calculations using paper and pencil.

I am puzzled at some peoples adverse reaction to simulation techniques.??
Most modern design authorities are using simulators, NASA, military etc.

It could be argued that a guy using a 'C' compiler or an Assembler to generate a program code file is using a simulation technique.

The bottom line with any simulation is if you put crap, in you will get crap out, you must have the basic knowledge of the circuitry or program to know when the simulation output is good or bad.

Yes, Eric as you pointed out, Len did say this and I did miss this in my last post.
Of course, you need the necessary background knowledge of analogue techniques to be able to use these programs effectively and produce meaningful results.
I am a complete advocate of simulation software and think it an invaluable tool. What worries or concerns me is that many upcoming designers use sim tools as a crutch to good old fashion design work. What I like to tell would be designers is that they should have a firm grasp of what they are designing prior to using sim tools. What I am finding is that many tweak simulators until the design works. This shotgun approach to design is no way to learn this field. Like in my blog, I say use simulation tools to verify, not to design.

But this has nothing to do with job interviews. So I am sorry to derail this thread. Good luck Brownout.

Last edited:

hi Mike,
As always, its good to discuss a topic with you.
I am wondering where you have seen 'up and coming' designers using sims as crutches.?
What is this supposed to mean ' good old fashion design work', I hope you are not suggesting that we go back to the pre computer/calculator days and do designs on paper using a slide rule.??? or writing computer programs in machine code.???
I dont think I like the idea of wearing a 'horse hair shirt' as a rite of passage.

Every time we hit a key on the computer keyboard we are in virtual world of simulation, I am not 'writing' this post I am just hitting keys, hopefully in the right order..

I am sure my good friend 'D' will benefit from our discussion.

My advice to 'D', during his interview, is to relax and just be himself, don't babble or clam up.

Yes, that is essentially what I was trying to say.

When I first started as an engineer, my boss asked me to do a design and said that here were decade resistance boxes in the lab to help with the design.

I said "I won't need the resistance boxes"

The use of simulation to do design is the modern version of the resistance box approach.

Well, I heard from my "inside" man today, and he told me that his understanding is they are going to make an offer. Cross your fingers. If I haden't mentioned, I've not worked in nearly a year. If I take the job, I'll have enough experience for about 75% of the work ( verilog, FPGA ) For the rest of it ( Layout, signal integrity issues ) I'll depend on my smart, experienced friends here to help out.

Thanks Mickster. My experience with this outfit so far is that once HR has something, they take their sweet time putting it together. I'm kind of stoked about the possibility of working there because I'll have the opportunity to work with everything from FPGA coding to analog designs, boards and complete assemblies. I've only had the chance to get my hands on parts of system development in my previous 14 years in EE. But as the whole department consists of about 4 people working on complete systems, I'll get much more exposure. Now, I'll need to review all that theory I took in college almost two decades ago

Well, I received on offer from this company. I was at the lake when they called. They wanted me to download the offer, sign it and fax it back to them. I didn't have a computer with me, so I had to drive back home on Friday so that I could print it up and sign it. I also didn't have a fax machine, so I told them that I would carry it in. Long stroy short, by the time I arrived home, printed the paperwork, filled it out, got cleaned up and drove to the facility, they had already bailed for the week. Grrrrr! I'm just about to make another attempt to deliver the paperwork. More on this story as it developes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…