Jackpot!!! I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

More Coffee

A friend popped by and dropped of some old alarm system bits pieces and stuff.
After tearing in to the bits I have found maybe some really good parts.
Heres what Ive found
1602 lcd display with backlight
PIC 16f628-04 (2 of them)
PIC16C54A (2 of them)
ATMEGA8l-8PU (1)

Not to mention other goods like X-tal's ,varicaps,opto's,PIR sensor's, Cat-5 interface and such/

Now,right of the hop I have this vision of using these part's to hopfully make a display for my truck that would display 3-4temp values,battery voltage and such.Ive 4 DS18B20,which from what Ive read would be ideal for a MCU project.

Is this achieveable with these salvaged parts?

The PIC 16C is mask or one-time programmed, so chuck it.

The 16F628 might be reprogrammable if the OEM didn't program the "cannot see the internal code" bit.

well I guess the only way to know is build a progranner/development board..

I was looking to learn a little about pic's ,now is that time I guess..

The 16F628 might be reprogrammable if the OEM didn't program the "cannot see the internal code" bit.

It is re-usable, even if it was code protected you just do a "bulk erase" which makes it like a new PIC again.

Save yourself a major headache and pain in the backside. If you want a programmer for PICs, get a PICkit 2 or a PICkit 3. The '3 handles some of the bleeding edge chips that the '2 does not but the '2 includes a simple logic analyzer and UART tool that the '3 does not. The PICkit 2 is the preferred choice unless you specifically plan to use the newest chips that only the '3 supports.

A nifty trick with the PICkit 2 UART tool is to set up a software UART to monitor program progress just by clicking on the UART tool after programming via ICSP with no change in connections.

Not Quite Trivial - A Tip For Using the Software UART With the PICkit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…