Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jackpot!!! I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

More Coffee

A friend popped by and dropped of some old alarm system bits pieces and stuff.
After tearing in to the bits I have found maybe some really good parts.
Heres what Ive found
1602 lcd display with backlight
PIC 16f628-04 (2 of them)
PIC16C54A (2 of them)
ATMEGA8l-8PU (1)

Not to mention other goods like X-tal's ,varicaps,opto's,PIR sensor's, Cat-5 interface and such/

Now,right of the hop I have this vision of using these part's to hopfully make a display for my truck that would display 3-4temp values,battery voltage and such.Ive 4 DS18B20,which from what Ive read would be ideal for a MCU project.

Is this achieveable with these salvaged parts?

The PIC 16C is mask or one-time programmed, so chuck it.

The 16F628 might be reprogrammable if the OEM didn't program the "cannot see the internal code" bit.

well I guess the only way to know is build a progranner/development board..:eek:

I was looking to learn a little about pic's ,now is that time I guess..

The 16F628 might be reprogrammable if the OEM didn't program the "cannot see the internal code" bit.

It is re-usable, even if it was code protected you just do a "bulk erase" which makes it like a new PIC again.

Save yourself a major headache and pain in the backside. If you want a programmer for PICs, get a PICkit 2 or a PICkit 3. The '3 handles some of the bleeding edge chips that the '2 does not but the '2 includes a simple logic analyzer and UART tool that the '3 does not. The PICkit 2 is the preferred choice unless you specifically plan to use the newest chips that only the '3 supports.

A nifty trick with the PICkit 2 UART tool is to set up a software UART to monitor program progress just by clicking on the UART tool after programming via ICSP with no change in connections.

Not Quite Trivial - A Tip For Using the Software UART With the PICkit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back