Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I've seen it all - or man's best friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously successfully. :)

Depends on your definition of success ;) They succeeded in merging a hatchet with a power cable, and in depriving thousands of people of power for 10 days. They didn't succeed in stealing the copper though, and I seriously doubt they succeeded in escaping with their life.

Depends on your definition of success ;) They succeeded in merging a hatchet with a power cable, and in depriving thousands of people of power for 10 days. They didn't succeed in stealing the copper though, and I seriously doubt they succeeded in escaping with their life.

At least they were successful cutting the cable. :)

Well from what I'd heard, they didn't actually cut the cable. The axe became part of the cable buried halfway in, but the cable held up just fine :D but it caused damage to many other areas of the power station, and caused a fire which didn't exactly help the problems.

So all round, I think they failed :p

Well from what I'd heard, they didn't actually cut the cable. The axe became part of the cable buried halfway in, but the cable held up just fine :D but it caused damage to many other areas of the power station, and caused a fire which didn't exactly help the problems.

So all round, I think they failed :p

Overall I must admit that the "mission failed".

I was successful hitting the cable between the generator and our tent at a ham field day. I went into the forrest to gather some wood for the fire place and wondered why hitting a branch of a fallen tree it started sparkling. The generator ran freely (without burden) the same moment and there was darkness and silence all over the place. :D

Someone recently tried that in my area and we suffered a 10-day power outage. Their methods were a little more inept though, they tried to put an axe through a 132kV cable... :rolleyes:

While most mains cabling is underground in the UK, a small amount is still above ground - and it's commonly gypsies who try and clumsily steal the live cables.

Happily a pair were fried earlier this year while attempting to do so :D

I have no problem with morons frying themselves by trying to cut through a high voltage cable, so long as it doesn't ruin the contents of my freezer and make me die of boredom over the next 10 days. I missed e-mails and phonecalls about a job interview thanks to that as well :(

Genius and the Gambler.

I have no problem with morons frying themselves by trying to cut through a high voltage cable, so long as it doesn't ruin the contents of my freezer and make me die of boredom over the next 10 days. I missed e-mails and phonecalls about a job interview thanks to that as well :(

We had a guy who was going thru our desert collecting abandoned cable from an old system. So, he climbs the pole only to be blown off. When they found him it was to late. I guess he had been collecting it for some time as luck would have it, he found a live one.

A really sad one. A roofer discovered a wire on the roof after a rain storm. He tried to use a pole from a roofing mop in an attempt to pick it up and toss it away from the roof. Meanwhile others said it was a bad idea. But, he was the expert and with both hands on the stick he put it under a raised section. When his muscles in his arms contracted it pumped the wire upward the wire goes upward and back landing across both arms. Resulting in severing both limbs at the forearm.

Now he knows about electrical stimulation. ( high voltage style.;)

kv

A really sad one. A roofer discovered a wire on the roof after a rain storm. He tried to use a pole from a roofing mop in an attempt to pick it up and toss it away from the roof. Meanwhile others said it was a bad idea. But, he was the expert and with both hands on the stick he put it under a raised section. When his muscles in his arms contracted it pumped the wire upward the wire goes upward and back landing across both arms. Resulting in severing both limbs at the forearm.

Darwinism at work!.

Here they are smarter: They don't steal High Voltage wiring, only the telephone wiring.

They also steal the sewer lids (to sell the metalic rings), leaving open holes in the middle of the street. A car tire exploding afer falling into such trap is very common.

Last edited:
Nowadays it's not so funny anymore. It might end deadly being infected with HIV, which has double speed in tropic countries.

Tim, an Englishman, got married to one of the Pattaya service girls. She died of HIV after six months, and he followed her eight months later.

The embassies of all over the world have a lot of work to do taking care to get the corpses back to their home countries, some of them not having died of HIV, but of the stress being with a service girl. (What a beautiful way to say "good bye" to the world. :rolleyes:)

BTW. Thai girls are the most boring ones I've experienced concerning "living as a couple". They are more or less puritans.

I think, Pattaya, Phuket and all the touristic islands in the Gulf of Thailand are nothing but disgusting. If one "service girl" dies because of HIV there are ten more to follow.

There are some exceptional girls who have a "farang" friend to take care of their monetary needs, e.g. a Japanese who pays for air conditioner repair twice a month, visiting his "girl" once a year for two weeks. She normally spends the other 50 weeks in Pattaya. :eek:

Boncuk

FYI, Do not assume that since I said I had fun that I messed around with the bar girls. We were forewarned of the HIV outbreak, so I never did have relations with the local girls aside from nice conversations and buying a few drinks.

I had fun when I went to Bangkok and took several tours. It was really nice to look at the wonderful architecture and see some of the Thai culture. I also purchased many fine jewelry there. For me, it was a fun experience to see how other cultures live.

Singapore was a different story. :)

Last edited:
FYI, Do not assume that since I said I had fun that I messed around with the bar girls. We were forewarned of the HIV outbreak, so I never did have relations with the local girls aside from nice conversations and buying a few drinks.

I had fun when I went to Bangkok and took several tours. It was really nice to look at the wonderful architecture and see some of the Thai culture. I also purchased many fine jewelry there. For me, it was a fun experience to see how other cultures live.

Singapore was a different story. :)

Hi Mike,

I was far away from saying you messed around with bar girls in Pattaya.

However it's a fact, that most tourists visiting Pattaya are males and appear for one reason only.

To be honest, I never was in Pattaya during the five years I have been living in Thailand. If friends go there they get a shopping list from me and buy the stuff I want (like Bavarian dark wheat beer :) )

May be you missed a visit to Bangkok Chinatown.

It's full of electronic shops - I stopped at the count of 500 - (most of them selling industrial overproduction items (from China)), but you can find lots of useful stuff like cheap precision worm drives for CNC-machines and miniature pneumatic actuators (ideal for a Z-axis drive of a drill) - some of them even brandnew and wrapped in oily paper.

You can also find a Jackhammer, a super speaker made in USA. (I guess it's rated 5,000W and weighs 130kg)

Regards

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back