Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I've just scratched my LCD and dented my pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamarama

Just feel the need to rant and ask you all for some suggestions.

I've been tidying up my lab area and managed to bump a piece of PCB off my shelf and directly onto my month old LCD monitor, leaving it with a lovely scratch...

I'm seething at myself for being so careless, but now I need to somehow fix it

I've tried everything online but the scratches are still just there and they're driving me crazy, I can't just sit here while they're staring right back at me, mocking me! (Well, maybe not the last part, but you get where I'm coming from)

The only thing I can think is since it's a pretty shallow scratch, I could probably just remove the anti glare filter, I've used glossy screens many times in the past so I guess I could cope. The only thing putting me off is I've never done it before and this screen is still in warranty. I have an old LCD I could practice on I guess too.

I don't know, I'm just really crestfallen at the minute, I really could do with a time machine that takes me back about an hour of so if any of you guys has one spare! :p

I have an old LCD I could practice on I guess too.

Unless it's identical it probably won't be much help, as every screen you see tends to be assembled completely differently :(

As far as dis-assembling and re-assembling screens goes it's fairly normal to destroy the first one or two (of the same type) you attempt it on.

That's what I was afraid to hear... looks like I'll have to live with it until the warranty expires and then take a few brave pills. Thanks for the warning though Nigel.

I have heard of people using a very small amount of petroleum jelly to mask it, like an optical body filler. I guess it's worth a shot, I ran always wipe it off with screen cleaner

I think auto-windscreen repairers have a more permanent alternative to petroleum jelly for scratch filling. Might be worth enquiring.

Thanks Alec, the petroleum jelly seems to be working quite well at present, so I'll inquire with them when it comes time to re-lube my screen (not something I thought I'd ever have to do!)

The trouble is you need a filler with the same (or very close) refractive index as the screen or you will always be able to see a line. My first thought was to see if you can polish it out. But then you might have a big wide line instead :(
Maybe put one of those add-on filters in front of it like you used to get for crt monitors?

The refractive index is a problem, I can still see the scratch, but only if I look hard for it. My plan is to sit out the warranty period then remove the anti-glare filter and use an external one like you suggest, but that's only if I don't upgrade to 4K in the meantime. It's unlikely because I like to get at least 5 years out of a screen, got 10 out of my previous LCD.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but isn't the outer layer actually a polarising filter? - If you remove it all you see is a white screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back