Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

It's Not Electronics, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
I built a laundry in part of my garage. For access, I took down part of the wall between the main house and the garage, and then I built a floor about 12" above the cement garage floor, so that the level is the same as the house. Under the floor, I have all the water supply and and drainage plubming. For the mains supply to the washer and dryer, I have an electrical junction box to connect the new outlets to the existing house wire. So, I began to become concerned about flooding from the water supply running down below the built-up floor. So, I changed the juction box to a water proof one. However, I had to open the sided of the box to install the wire strain reliefs, and that makes the box less than waterproof. So, I carefully applied RTV sealant to the strain reliefs and sealed up the wire entry as best as I can. I believe it's pretty safe now. Does anyone else have any opinion on my electrical waterproofing???? BTW, the box is attached to the floor joists on the built-up floor, so it isn't flat on the cememt floor. In other word, water may run off on it, but it will never become submerged, no matter how much flooding I have.

I built a laundry in part of my garage. For access, I took down part of the wall between the main house and the garage, and then I built a floor about 12" above the cement garage floor, so that the level is the same as the house. Under the floor, I have all the water supply and and drainage plubming. For the mains supply to the washer and dryer, I have an electrical junction box to connect the new outlets to the existing house wire. So, I began to become concerned about flooding from the water supply running down below the built-up floor. So, I changed the juction box to a water proof one. However, I had to open the sided of the box to install the wire strain reliefs, and that makes the box less than waterproof. So, I carefully applied RTV sealant to the strain reliefs and sealed up the wire entry as best as I can. I believe it's pretty safe now. Does anyone else have any opinion on my electrical waterproofing???? BTW, the box is attached to the floor joists on the built-up floor, so it isn't flat on the cememt floor. In other word, water may run off on it, but it will never become submerged, no matter how much flooding I have.

As an electrician who learned the trade on a submarine and in my industrial experience I am convinced there is no way to seal electrical from water. Yes you can get equipment that is supposedly water proof but for reasons I do not understand you will still get water inside. The best is to mount where water cannot get to it. If I can I never run any wiring less that 18 above floor or dirt. Underground I prefer PVC pipe. If this box is below the washer and there are not splices in the conductors ie it is only a pull box then I would not get excited. If your outlets are below teh washer I would raise them you are only begging for trouble.

Outlets in garages and in laundry rooms should have GFIs.

Dan Bentler

I would be more concerned about the wall between the house and the garage. If I recall correctly, you should have a 2-hour fire rating between a garage and a living space.

As an electrician who learned the trade on a submarine and in my industrial experience I am convinced there is no way to seal electrical from water. Yes you can get equipment that is supposedly water proof but for reasons I do not understand you will still get water inside. The best is to mount where water cannot get to it. If I can I never run any wiring less that 18 above floor or dirt. Underground I prefer PVC pipe. If this box is below the washer and there are not splices in the conductors ie it is only a pull box then I would not get excited. If your outlets are below teh washer I would raise them you are only begging for trouble.

Outlets in garages and in laundry rooms should have GFIs.

Dan Bentler

Do you mean you never run the wire below the floor or dirt? Being that my house is multi-story, there is alot of wiring under bathrooms, etc. And I have had leaks in the past ( house is about 60 years old ) So far, circuit breakers have always protected from shorts. Most wiring is 16ga.

BTW, I ran my idea by an electrician friend of mine, and although he wasn't crazy about it, he said it doesn't violate any building code.

Last edited:
I would be more concerned about the wall between the house and the garage. If I recall correctly, you should have a 2-hour fire rating between a garage and a living space.

I'll double check the code. A 2-hour fire wall is not hard to make. Thanks for keeping fire safety in my front mind.

Washer and dryer should each be on it's own separate breaker, GFI not absolutely required, If you want it done perfect, get a national electrical code book, ask an electrician friend to take a look at your work, don't worry to much about water proof, don't pack the box too much, make sure it can drain if it does get water in it, get the wire nuts good and tight.
ex master electrician,
Kinarfi

Last edited:
Washer and dryer should each be on it's own separate breaker, GFI not absolutely required, If you want it done perfect, get a national electrical code book, ask an electrician friend to take a look at your work, don't worry to much about water proof, don't pack the box too much, make sure it can drain if it does get water in it, get the wire nuts good and tight.
ex master electrician,
Kinarfi

Thanks, that's what I've done. I've drilled a hole in the bottom just in case water gets in. The box isn't exactly water proof, but it will shed most of the water, if any drips on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back