Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issues Building a Full-Bridge Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzi

Hi,
I am building a Full-Bridge Inverter using four IGBT and four drivers for each IGBT. Driver is HCPL-3120, all four drivers are supplied with 15VDC isolated supply. I am switching using M bed micro controller LPC1768 generating two PWM signal working alternately, first signal turns IGBT 1 and 2 on and second turns IGBT 3 and 4. Inverter is supplied with roughly 36V while each driver with 15V. I have uploaded picture of schematic where four IGBT can be seen and one driver although in actual four drivers are used. After testing circuit i am unable to get a sine wave however I have upload snaps of my output. I haven't put any load yet and I am not getting any signal on DC coupled scope, Ac coupled scope is just giving a bit of noise while output voltage is approx. just 2Vp-p. So what I am doing wrong here and what type of output i should be expecting from this circuit .
Any help here is much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0156.JPG
    DSC_0156.JPG
    734.1 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC_0153.JPG
    DSC_0153.JPG
    823.2 KB · Views: 214
Without an output filter you should see a square wave being generated. The frequency of this will depend on what code you're running to determine the switching.

Have you confirmed that the gate drives are working? I would just start off by confirming that you are able to turn on the IGBTs one by one. Just connect an Ohmmeter across each IGBT to see it switching.

I have followed voltage for pwm signal to IGBT, there is voltage going in from driver to IGBT gate however at emitter voltage is very low i dont know why

You need to feed your +15V to the +pin of each of your two high side drivers through two diodes. When each side of the h-bridge is at ground, the capacitor will charge to +15, and then carry the 15 volts with respect to the emitter pin voltage as the emitter climbs up to +36V, at which time the gate will be 51V. Depending of the power needs of the driver and the IGBT gate capacitance you are driving, you may need a larger cap, as it needs to maintain most of the 15V charge for the duration of the high side ON pulse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back