Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Isolating Battery Sources with Rectifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

Hello,

I started **broken link removed**a while back involving an external battery source for graphing calculators. Basically, what I'm doing is augmenting the existing battery supply (6volts from 'AAA' batteries) with an external supply of 'AA' batteries. During this process, I predicted I'd need to isolate to battery packs--to keep the stronger pack from "dumping" power backwards into the weakest set. So I isolated them using twin rectifier diodes--type 1N3666 I think (no data).

This design is working well, but the Vdrop across my diodes is higher than I expected. Additionally, I'd like to expand this project to act as a plug-in battery charger.

I did a little Googling and **broken link removed** that suggested that there are specialized diodes that are designed for this application. Does anyone know what they're called, or where to order them?

You can canibalizing from PC PSU a dual schottky diode.It can handle about 20A and the voltage drop with 1A current only about 150mV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back