Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenoxion

I'm going to make **broken link removed**, and I've got the negative ion generator and I'm just using it to shock myself right now since I don't have a dremel or a spare pair of shoes. The shock kind of hurts (like strong static electricity) and will jump about 3/4 of a centimeter. What I want to know is, will using this consistently have any permanent damage? If I keep my finger about 1/2 a centimeter away from the thing while powered on, it does the static shock thing about once a second, and if I actually touch and hold onto something metal while it's charged up my muscles start feeling weird, like they're asleep (as in, it feels like when you sleep with your arm under you and when you wake up you can't feel the arm for a few minutes). I feel fine right now, but will constantly shocking myself with this thing (I think it's a few thousand volts at very very very low amperage) have any permanent effect on my body?

I'm not sure how well it might apply to ionizers, but a typical stun gun will avoid damaging the heart by sending its discharges as shortened pulses which are too short to affect the heart rhythm. But since your ionizer isn't designed to shock I'd take it all out of the picture with some thorough grounding and insulation wherever needed.

They're in alot of places nowadays (but horribly overpriced if you ask me). Some office supply chains carry them, plus some health/nutrition stores. They'll range in sizes and might be packaged as "ion purifiers" or "ion air freasheners."

zachtheterrible said:
Where might I get one of those negative ionizers??

Though many places sell negative ionizers that are powered by a wall outlet, the only portable battery-powered one I can find is **broken link removed**. Only $13, and if you follow the link in my first post you can make some pretty nifty shoes 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back