Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this an appropriate crystal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan East

[EDIT] Skip to my next post :) [/EDIT]

The datasheet says to use a parallel cut crystal, however this retailer does not specify if this crystal is parallel or series cut:

**broken link removed**.

Would that crystal work with a PIC?

Also, anyone recommend other online retailers for 20 MHz crystals? I hate to pay $5 to ship something with virtually no weight. I would also prefer the low-profile case, which Jameco does not offer at 20 MHz.

Thanks,

Dan East

Shoot, after looking at that page for the 4th time I finally see that it is series cut.

Any recommendations for an online retailer for 20 MHz parallel cut crystals in very small quantity (<5)?

Dan East

Okay, let me take a step back.

I've read on this forum and in other documentation that everything from trace length to trace thickness affect crystal performance. As this is all far beyond me, am I safe using a 20 MHz crystal and matching caps, when I don't have the skill to properly design a PCB to take into account all the nuances?

Or should I just stick with an oscillator? The downsides I see are higher power consumption, larger size and expense.

Thanks!

Dan East

Dan East said:
I've read on this forum and in other documentation that everything from trace length to trace thickness affect crystal performance. As this is all far beyond me, am I safe using a 20 MHz crystal and matching caps, when I don't have the skill to properly design a PCB to take into account all the nuances?

Just bung a crystal and two capacitors on the correct pins, the layout doesn't have any effect at these sorts of frequencies - within reason!.

The capacitors are also extremely uncritical, anywhere between 10pf and 33pf will be absolutely fine! - it's really a lot easier than you are thinking!.

If you're still at all worried about layout, try looking at the veroboard layouts in my tutorials - the 16F876 and 16F877 boards both use 20MHz crystals - they work perfectly.

Xtals

This may help answer some of your questions about oscillators (scoll to p.8 ). I agree with Nigel, circuit values are not too critical at these frequencies, you'd have to work hard not to make the crystal oscillate.

Here's the oscillator portion of my board. I'm using a PIC16F628 even though the part is labeled otherwise.

Dan East

Attachments

• crystal.gif
    crystal.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 446
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back