Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is this a resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 posts in this thread now, and pretty well all irrelevant? - you don't need to know what it IS, but what it DOES - a simple schematic or service manual of the amplifier would instantly sort the problem, and even just posting the model number could well be a big help. The close up picture of the component we've had isn't really very useful, as there's no context, pictures showing more of the board (top and bottom) would be of more use.

However, I concur with the majority in that it's most likely a zero-ohm resistor (based on pure visuals) - but it's not something I would 'blindly short out' without first finding out what it does, and confirming that's what it is.

Look at a glass diode. You can see the silicon inside.
I have "0 ohm resistors" that look just like the one in question. Break it and look inside. Wire only. No lump of silicon inside.

The whole board both sides and the name plate hell why is that hard to do. I'd buy that it's a jumper if the line wasn't green and the ends metal.

But you can be wrong and end up with a lot more smoke.

Hi all it's definitely a green band to the naked eye. there are 4 more in the circuit. i will take one out and put the meter over it and get back to you

o ohms is the result. am tempted to put it down to a jumper as no-one recognises it. checked the net for lookalike fuses but found nothing. model akai am-u22. damaged one has solid core wire

Last edited:
Look at the OP's photo in post #4. There is a white silkscreened line under the component. But nothing to mark polarity as there would be for a diode.

My money is still on a zero-ohm jumper, but I might concede it could be a fuse. In an EEVBlog video I watched last night, Dave pointed at a white square SMT component with a green circle and said "Yes, I checked the fuse." But a fuse should have a reference designator. A replacement for a piece of wire might not.....

In college a guy in my class could never figure out polarity on resistors. He decides the black multiplier band is the negative end. LOL

I have some of these in a bin labeled "0 ohm". They are 30 to 40 years old. I think I have a box of these.
upload_2018-4-5_19-55-35.png

Line in the middle = bipolar. o_O

**broken link removed**
Kind of funny they got little whater they are and right next to them there are wire jummpers.

Hi all it's definitely a green band to the naked eye. there are 4 more in the circuit. i will take one out and put the meter over it and get back to you
it is most likely a 5A fuse. i have seen fuses with colored bands like that before.

it is most likely a 5A fuse. i have seen fuses with colored bands like that before.

Most likely not, as from the picture above in post #28 they are obviously zero ohm resistors, and simply link the input selection switches together. The manual also shows them as simple wire links. However, it is always possible that they used 5A fuses as wire links during part of the production run, if they ran out of wire links and had plenty of 5A fuses and didn't want to halt production. As I said previously in this thread, it's not important what is IS, but what it DOES.

However, we still don't know whereabouts on the board the link in question is?, if he posts a suitable photo it will be easy to identify, as the manual is available to download.

20180407_143148.jpgcould not get a manual. 2 capacitors removed. component was where the broken line is right top of removed capacitors

Are you sure there is no track that the broken component is crossing over as stated in post #10?

I don't know why anyone would use a 0Ω resistor unless it is to jump over another track.

Mike.

Looks like a low ohm resists for being used as. A fuse in the power supply probably open because of a shorted diode or filter cap or output transistor what’s the akai model number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back