Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is this a good start for learning pic s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it looks like a very good setup. Let us know how good the tutorials are.

I use a similar setup in conjunction with a juneBug instead of the PICkit2. It works well. You can also use processors directly in the bread board but the processor module approach save a bit of wiring.

About my only reservation is the price but then your are getting the tutorials.

3v0

Looks like a really good kit, seems a might bit expensive though. For that price you could buy all of the components + breadboard + power supply AND a temp controlled soldering station

For a person who is just getting started I prefer they not use a complex board like the EasyPIC16. The breadboard helps them make the connection between schematics and circuits. mel8030 says he has an outdated electronics background. In this case I would go with whatever will work best for him.

To put it another way. The person who uses the EasyPIC16 (or similar) may be able to use the LCD on the board may be clueless about how to use one in a circuit.

3v0

Last edited:
For a person who is just getting started I prefer they not use a complex board like the EasyPIC16. The breadboard helps them make the connection between schematics and circuits. mel8030 says he has an outdated electronics background. In this case I would go with whatever will work best for him.

To put it another way. The person who uses the EasyPIC16 (or similar) may be able to use the LCD on the board may be clueless about how to use one in a circuit.

3v0

That's a good point, something like an EasyPIC might be a bit daunting to a beginner too. I was thinking purely along a price comparison with the product he linked.

That's a good point, something like an EasyPIC might be a bit daunting to a beginner too. I was thinking purely along a price comparison with the product he linked.

The price is high, but if the tutorials are good (I would love to see them) it might be worth the cash. The ability to sit down with all the parts and just do it has value.

I use a similar processor module with the ICSP connoctor, caps, and a power indicator for teaching. It shaves a few minutes off BB wiring and allows students to construct the part of the circuit that is interesting.

3v0

10$ a min for what phone number where?

from the link the op posted, seems a bit steep but then again i can be tight with cash :D

Attachments

• FireShot capture #002 - '17 in 1 Deluxe Microcontroller Exploration Lab-The Electronic Goldmine'.png
    FireShot capture #002 - '17 in 1 Deluxe Microcontroller Exploration Lab-The Electronic Goldmine'.png
    364.8 KB · Views: 181
Wow $10 a minute? That's a good way to discourage annoying phone calls for help.

Maybe we should charge $10 a min to anyone who wants help with their "final year project"? :D

The ($10 Min) refers to their minimum order of $10. But they could do a better job of stating it there as they do on their How to Order page, or not put it there at all.

hello Nigel
you said "You still need to buy PICkit 2 tho."
This is not in the kit? or will be needed later as I become more knowledgeable.
Finally to be able to become a practical hardware maker and software writer, better to follow the advises, first reply by Gayan Soyza, and now Nigel and 3v0. Perhaps many many others. what ever you invest, pays, to make a career and a good Hobby. at the end of say 3 to 4 months,you would realise that you really gained enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back