Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this a correct way to connect batteries together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkdale44

Hello,

I have four 18650's lying around, I thought I should use them to fix my old laptop battery.
I tested their capacity, two of them are at 1000 mAh and the other two are 2000 mAh each. Can I connect them together in the following way to get decent backup? Is the below method correct?

image-2023-01-03-185945324.png

Regards!

I have four 18650's lying around
Do you still have the battery-management components to go with them, to ensure safe charge and discharge?

Yes, laptop battery has it's own BMS board with connections for 0v,4v,8v,12v.
Looks a pretty crazy idea - and a BMS is designed for identical batteries, not random collections of series and parallel ones, or even old and new identical ones.

If you've got 18650's that only test at 1000mAh, then they are well knackered.

Looks a pretty crazy idea - and a BMS is designed for identical batteries, not random collections of series and parallel ones, or even old and new identical ones.

If you've got 18650's that only test at 1000mAh, then they are well knackered.
I was watching a video that tested 10A 18650's as they appeared to be remarkable.. They were Chinese 1A (I think they claimed a 10A discharge current) but definitely not 10000mAh as described

Yes, there are some fake 18650 batteries sold at AliExpress that are printed 30000mAh. You get 10 pieces for a few dollars.
A Lithium battery can easily produce its truthful mAh in 2 hours and maybe 30 times its mAh for a few minutes as in radio controlled models. My 280mAh Li-PO produces 6A when my model airplane is climbing vertically.

Thanks for replies, I connected the battery in the above configuration with BMS board and it seems to work just fine. Wasn't sure it would work but since battery capacities are in balance, those two 1000mAh cells in parallel are equal to single 2000 mAh so pretty much it works.
I will replace all these with 3000 mAh in future to make a 6 cell battery.

Thanks for replies, I connected the battery in the above configuration with BMS board and it seems to work just fine. Wasn't sure it would work but since battery capacities are in balance, those two 1000mAh cells in parallel are equal to single 2000 mAh so pretty much it works.
I will replace all these with 3000 mAh in future to make a 6 cell battery.

The issue isn't working 'once', it's how long it will carry on working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back