Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there any way for a hobbiest to work with a chip this small?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish we could get over it all and switch totally to metric, I'm all for it, though I'm with Nigel that I'm pretty much stuck with measuring any real distance in feet or miles and weight in pounds. I've always had problem with the F to C conversion too, the centigrade metric is a little more course as well so you really need to state the first tenth of the decimal portion of centigrade to convert to F.

I agree, the USA should do it, and probably like the UK, it's then a question of the old methods dying out as the older population does. I suspectv there's no way to do a blanket change, it's a question of education in the schools, and generations going by.

As for pints in pubs, it's not a 'measure' as such - it's just something you buy beer in! :p

haha, i know, i was just making a very obscure joke, i have a bad habit of doing that. (2009-25=)

Last edited:
Far as I know teaching metric in the states hasn't gotten much better since I was a kid, and it was barely mentioned in passing then.

Far as I know teaching metric in the states hasn't gotten much better since I was a kid, and it was barely mentioned in passing then.
In the US anyone who has taken high school physical science, chemistry, or physics should have used the metric system. Last time I checked everyone took physical science.

The entire US is laid out in 1 miles squares called sections. I doubt that can ever change.

I think we are stuck with two systems.

If you have ever built a guitar or fretted instrument, using the metric system is FAR easier to calculate the distance between frets!

Those TQFP package is relatively easy to handle. The hard part is the BGA, LGA parts.

Anyone knows a good software to add ruler into a picture like this:
**broken link removed**

My car gets two rods to the hogshead, and that's how I likes it!

The truly hilarious thing is that Google will do the conversion from the above to MPH (or KPH if you prefer) if you type it into the Google search bar.

And to be honest, when the hell will we ever get metric time? 24:60:60? WTF is that system for time keeping?

Last edited:
If you can get some old circuit boards and get them hot enough to have the processor fall off without damaging the pins you can clean up it's location and practice with them without damaging a good one.

I used to have to solder these packages all the time by hand I got good with a flat tip Iron I would gently pull across the pins with the front edge of the board tilted down toward me and the solder would pull away at the last pin. turn the board to the next row repeat until finished.

Some people like to put the tip right on the pins. I found if I had enough solder on the tip was just close enough at the right speed slowly pull toward me across the ends the solder be pulled off onto the pins. I could solder 1 every 3 minutes. Averaging 160 a day 300 board run 2 days with an extra hr to clean and dry over night.

Using water soluble flux was good if I did get a bridge put more on it and wipe the excess solder off my tip using gravity toward the tip normally the tip pull it off.

Takes a bit of practice that's where spare unwanted boards come in.

kv:)

I produce a 60 pin experimental board that will accommodate a 48 pin chip, if you want one, I can send it to you.

The problem with converting a country to metric is all the retooling. That will cost a lot of money.

I like Stan Laurel's response to a question (can't remember if it was distance or time)
"Two shakes of a dead lamb's tail."

in factories we have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cutting tips, drill bits, line bores and other such equipment, my factory makes huge mining equipment so that amount may be in the millions of dollars, retooling to metric would require replacing those tools.

in factories we have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cutting tips, drill bits, line bores and other such equipment, my factory makes huge mining equipment so that amount may be in the millions of dollars, retooling to metric would require replacing those tools.

You only really need to retool when you replace them, it's not exactly rocket science (bad pun for Mars missions) to use imperial tools to make metric products. Most lathes and industrial equipment could also fairly simply be recalibrated and modified to be metric.

Like I said before, it's not an overnight thing to do - it needs to take decades.

My father, who was a stone mason, used to get specifications to cut stone to 1/10th of a mm. The saw he used had half an inch of wobble in the blade :p

The biggest problem with past converting attempts in the general U.S. education system is that the politicians would not back up the school system when the lazy parents found out that they would actually have to do a little learning, work and thinking themselves if they were going to be able to help their kids with homework. Can't have that could we? So it died a quite death here unless you go into the science/engineering/medical fields later in your education.

Companies have less problems converting over time if and when there is a valid business need or advantage.

Lefty

Last edited:
The biggest problem with past converting attempts in the general U.S. education system is that the politicians would not back up the school system when the lazy parents found out that they would actually have to do a little learning, work and thinking themselves if they were going to be able to help their kids with homework. Can't have that could we? So it died a quite death here unless you go into the science/engineering/medical fields later in your education.
Companies have less problems converting over time if their is a valid business need or advantage.

Here is a typical example of lack of education.

Most Americans don’t know the difference between “than” and “then.”
Similarly, most can’t differentiate between “their” and “there.”
In the above we have: “died a quite death” instead of: “died a quiet death” and "if their is a valid business need."

Six months ago I couldn’t even spell Electronics Technician, now I are one.

Last edited:
Here is a typical example of lack of education.

Most Americans don’t know the difference between “than” and “then.”
Similarly, most can’t differentiate between “their” and “there.”
In the above we have: “died a quite death” instead of: “died a quiet death” and "if their is a valid business need."

Six months ago I couldn’t even spell Electronics Technician, now I are one.

That is just rude and a blatant stereotype. How condescending and insulting of you to say such a thing . Shame on you Mr. Colins for making such a generalized statement about a nation of people. For Pete’s sake not everyone runs a spell check, that does not imply a lack of education, how petty this comment is.

I guess we all should get a homonym checker as well as spell check.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back