Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there any software that allows me to run a visual simulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matelot

I am trying to use eagle to design circuits and would like to be able to see the circuit run.
I just want to put a switch, a battery, a resistor and a LED into a programme and be able to click on the switch and the light change colour.

I can do this with circuit wizard and I bought circuit wizard thinking it was exactly what I wanted but in the years I have had it there has been no support and the components are very far and few between. Simple things like connecting swiches to relay coils aren't supported so I am looking for something else.

Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to, hopefully, use eagle circuits and see them working in a simulator that shows visually what is happening?

I don't see any way of doing this with LT Spice.

If I can't do it with Eagle, does someone know a program that I can do it with? hopefully one like Eagle that can be downloaded for free.

Check out Texas Instruments' "TINA" simulator. The free version is limited. The "Basic" function is not, but it provides for LEDs that light up, relays that "move", motors that turn, etc. There are operating options that allow you to makes circuit changes (component values, switch positions) "on the fly" while the simulation is running.

Eagle files will not run in TINA.

I don't see any way of doing this with LT Spice..

I don't know if LTspice can integrate with eagle.
But LTspice can show this graphically in terms of voltage and currents, it just doesn't show this as an animation with LED's that "light", or relays with armatures that "move".

Yeah, I just was trying to say: www.falstad.com Alec_t already have mentioned.

I tried TINA a while ago and didn't get on with it, when you state 'eagle files won't run on it' are you insinuating other files will?

LT Spice is one of the buttons in eagle but every time I have tried it has complained that for some reason a component or something else is not compatible.

how much experience have you had with the Falstead Alec? I have just used it for a few minutes and it seems good. Is it possible to save a copy to my computer so I can work offline?
I even got a d type flip flop to work and light lights.

thanks to both for the ideas I will look into both.

how much experience have you had with the Falstead Alec?
I've only played with it a couple of times. Use "File/Export as text" to save your work. Don't know how you could work offline with it.

If you can modify the source programs, you can download them and point to your local PC instead of a web address

Last edited:
I just want to put a switch, a battery, a resistor and a LED into a programme and be able to click on the switch and the light change colour.
VBB is dead easy.... Free version for simple circuits I paid for Arduino simulation... https://www.virtualbreadboard.com/

Simple circuits built on breadboard fro real time simulation ( Analysis not available )

... when you state 'eagle files won't run on it' are you insinuating other files will?
No other sim files, so far as I know, will run in TINA except TINA created .tsc types.

TINA Basic will, however, accept and work with most SPICE component models.

Check out Texas Instruments' "TINA" simulator. The free version is limited.

Less functions? Smaller number of components? Or...?

Less functions? Smaller number of components? Or...?
For the free version, yes, and yes. I started with the free version but quickly saw its pretty major limitations.

TINA Basic (V.10) suits me fine (don't, of course, know your needs) but it costs $129USD.

It more closely mimics an actual bread boarding situation, which appeals to me, with some (IMHO) relatively complex circuits.

https://goo.gl/GGUfna
Try this, simple with some tricks to learn but works.

To make a threshold indicator, use a "window comparator" design instead using a quad comparator ,rated for the Vcc min and use a band gap Vref or a "bar graph driver" chip.

Whenever you ask a design detail question in future, describe the reasons for the design, what the end results are, and all the "constraints". We call this a "spec."

e.g. Design indicator for State of charge ,(SoC) of LiPo single cell. where 10>100% is 3.3>3.7V and charge is when I<5%Imax at 4.2V when charger is cut-off.

You choose your indicator and control thresholds. then tune values if required later. You must choose tolerances. Then start the design and verify when done later. We call this Design Validation Testing, DVT.

Writing a simple Spec, and DVT plan are critical requirements for ANY design.

This forces you to include testability with breakpoints and\or testpoints from the start. We call this DFT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back