Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there any difference in these connections in home electrical wiring systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

layana

Hi All,

Is there any difference in these connections in home electrical wiring systems, whether it is for the hot line, the neutral line or the Earth line?

Twisting the wires together
twisted.jpg

Or Using busbar
busbar.jpg

Regards

Using busbars is much more reliable and safer. In every country I've lived in busbars are compulsory.

Mike.

Here twisting wires together is allowed if a twist wire nut is used to connect them together (any connection).
Electrical tape by itself is not allowed.
1638681021948.png

Yes, a lot - possibly life or death. A simple twisted joint can corrode, the resistance increases and it starts to get hot or arc, possibly causing a fire.

Using properly designed terminals or connectors that have permanent, reliable connections avoids this:

house-fire-picture-id108201434

Last edited:
Third world technology, banned over here a VERY long time ago.
I remember using the Scru-it porcelain connectors in the UK when they were legal.
They were banned because they would sometimes crack and expose the connection etc.
Also, Having used the N.A. style, which by the way, are quite a bit different from the old Scru-it, the N.A. version has a metal thread-like interior and has been used for many decades here.
The old UK version was just all porcelain.
I was leery at first, but over a few decades found they appear to do the job very well.

I never use wire-nuts today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back