Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there an alternative to soldering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is simple circuit, tying the components together is possible up certain level, but for more complicated circuits, even soldering has to be good enough to make work.

it depends actually on the footprint of components you use. some SMD types need more complicated methods even than soldering for example using conductive adhesives or silver pens should be necessary.

Wire wrap is the most obvious one for complicated circuits.

Have seen complicated circuit they dont solder on it, How do they do it?

Maybe be soldering you mean "soldering with a pencil or iron"

Most circuits are made on printed circuit boards. A paste of solder and flux is applied to the board with a stencil. The parts are placed on the board. The board is headed to cause the paste to melt which solders the parts to the board.

I do this to make my hobby PCBs. See this link for some pictures of the stencil and the board.

3v0

Hi,

They use welding too, in several different applications.
Inside ic chips, and on battery terminals for example.

Wires are twisted together in home ac power circuits in the wall boxes,
using 'wire nuts' over top of the splices.

There is also that "wire glue" we talked about in another thread a while back.
It has limited application but would work when there is nothing else.

Last edited:
When i saw the circuit board of my damaged handset, i wondered how it was done cos all components are neatly mounted on the pcb with no traces of soldering.

The problem i have is that most of the time when i finish mounting components on circuit board, it will not work and i try to figure out what was happening and discovered that some of the components have been damaged due to the heat from the soldering iron. Thats why am searching for a soldering alternative so that i can completely do away with heat and save those damages caused by heat.

Rather then try to do away with soldering you need to learn to do it correctly. It is not hard.

First you have to use the correct soldering tool. Then you need to know how to use it.

There are many soldering tutorials. I am sure others will post them. :)

When i saw the circuit board of my damaged handset, i wondered how it was done cos all components are neatly mounted on the pcb with no traces of soldering.

They are soldered on, if you can't see any trace of the solder, you're not looking properly.

With the exception of BGA devices, where the soldering is underneath, so you can't see it, but only the big chips will be BGA.

The problem i have is that most of the time when i finish mounting components on circuit board, it will not work and i try to figure out what was happening and discovered that some of the components have been damaged due to the heat from the soldering iron. Thats why am searching for a soldering alternative so that i can completely do away with heat and save those damages caused by heat.

You need to learn how to solder, it's simple, and only take a few minutes to learn - I taught my daughter when she was about 8 years old?, ten minutes instruction and she's built a number of items over the years with never a problem.

To damage a component whilst soldering is EXTREMELY difficult, you must be going about it in completely the wrong way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back