Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there an adapter to connect to a pad meant for a surface mount IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

Does anyone know the search term or supplier for a connector designed to solder on to a 32-TQFP pad and break out the connections? I know there are adaptor boards to put a surface mount component or connector into a DIP size through hole socket, but I need the inverse of that. At this point, I don't care if it gives me wires, pins, or connectors. I just need to replace a small MCU with an external control for a testing application. This seems like a problem others may have faced enough that an adapter part may exist. If not I can probably make a tiny PCB to solder onto the pad and bring the pins to a connector.

Last edited:
I have just done a search on eBay using just the term '32-TQFP pcb'. That seems to be what I think you're after.

I have just done a search on eBay using just the term '32-TQFP pcb'. That seems to be what I think you're after.

I easily find the kind to break out a surface mount chip, I have a lot of them actually. Like the one pictured below. But what I'm talking about is something that does the opposite. I have a board with a surface mount chip and I need to attach an external device in its place. So I need something that solders onto this type of SMT pad and brings out a connector, pins, or wire. If you did find something like that please share the link.

(picture of opposite of what I'm looking for)
s-l1600.jpg

That's pretty much what I'm looking for! I could see making a fairly simple PCB to do it if I can't find a similar adaptor in TQFP size.

That did give me the idea to try searching for SMT connectors and see if there are any that happen to have a square 32 pin base of the right size. I'll see what I find. Also, it may be a bit more trouble but maybe I could just use 4 connectors with 8 inline pins and the right pitch.

Use 45 degree headers, take off the plastic after soldering to the pad (or leave it on), then solder the bit sticking up into vario board and put straight headers where needed. The 45 degree ones go like a L shape onto the pad.

Have you looked at Ironwood?

It looks like they have exactly what I need here. Since I may need to make a lot of them it could be worth the price even if they're kind of expensive. I wrote to them for a quote.

Once I got the term "Surface Mount Emulator Bases" from them I found a few more companies that make them
like this: **broken link removed**
This one looks fairly elaborate.

I was thinking of that idea too, Little Ghostman, but I couldn't find any headers at just 0.8mm. There probably are some somewhere though.

I have a few 0.8 headers, but they were from bankrupt stock a few years ago. So I have no idea where they actually came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back