Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is the oscillator nescesary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demestav

Ok i know that the oscillator is needed in order for the timing of the uC . But i can see several projects that don't use one... I thought the crystal was nescessary for the operation, isn't it ?
Thanks

Yes ofcourse Oscillator is required for a uC to work. The most common device used for this purpose is Crystal. You'll also find ceramic resonators in some schematics or even other types of oscillators. Even 555 astable multivibrator can be used to drive a uC if you are not doing any time criticl operations and want a low speed oscillator.

But remember that you can not do without a oscillator unless there is an internal oscilaltor in the uC like PIC12C508.

designs?

Thnx for the reply...But i am positive that i have seen several designs without one...Also in the Proteus simulator (that you suggested me in another post,and by the way is excellent!!!) has some designs with and some others without. isnt weird? :|

That means you were talking about simulation circuits. Not the real world ones. In simulations there is a possibility that if you don't connect external crystal, the simulator assumes suitable clock. But that circuit won't work if you actually prototype it without crystal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back