Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to self teach how to repair electronics??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started with a Philips Electronics Kit for Christmas, when I was about ten or eleven, from there I started having Practical Electronics every month, my Grandmother bought and delivered it to me. I lived in a small village, no library, I seem to remember a library van came round once a week? - but it wouldn't have any Electronics books on. In fact, I doubt the small libraries in the nearest two towns (small towns, but seemed BIG to me at the time) would have had any Electronics books either.

My first Practical Electronics magazine was December 1968, and I still have it :D

I also bought and collected various Electronics Magazines, and learnt much of what I know from those.

I started work when I left school at a local TV shop as an apprentice engineer, and started college a year later on 'day release' - but found I learnt little at college, my existing knowledge allowed my to skip the first year and start in the second, and even then I was always ahead of the course from my magazines and my work doing repairs.

I started with a Philips Electronics Kit for Christmas
I had one, but can't remember the make.
It was blue plastic and had loads of rows of breadboard contacts, which you had to insert yourself, before you could even use it.

.... collected various Electronics Magazines, and learnt much of what I know from those. .........but found I learnt little at college, my existing knowledge allowed my to skip the first year and start in the second, and even then I was always ahead of the course from my magazines and my work doing repairs.
That's a nice story and good advice, I think its exactly the kind of thing TS was asking about.

Repairing electronics requires understanding how it works - you're unlikely to get that from google or YouTube.

quick google search.....

Last edited:
is it possible to self teach how to repair electronics , or is it necessary to get some type of qualification at a college/university?

Use a few examples from the past, e.g. Michael Faraday for example as just one.
Faraday received little formal education, he was an apprentice bookbinder., But an avid reader.
He turned into one of the most influential scientists in history. All self taught, his experiments and discoveries in electro-magnetics led to the discovery of electric motor technology, just for one example.
There were quite a few more.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back