Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is it possiable to build a safe jacobs ladder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
i have found a old TV with a fly back transformer in it! and would like to make a jacobs ladder, but it would have to be safe because of my little sister, so if i put one in a clear acrylic box how thick would the acrylic need to be to make it safe?

hi Logan,
My advice at this stage of your learning curve, is dont do it, wait until you have more knowledge regarding High voltages.
The fact that you have to ask on a Forum regarding the safety aspects shows that you should not experiment with HV at this time.:eek:

Uncle Eric

hi uncle eric, its a bit of a non starter as dad confiscated the transformer and gave to mum for safe keeping (i know all dads hiding places) so its a dead project :( but am i correct in thinking that any insulator (acrylic sheet) would stop the spark jumping? it sounds a silly question but i am asking because last year in the physics bit of tech we did a vandergraph generator experiment and in one bit jumped a spark from a nylon rod to the generator, before i saw this i would have said no way would a spark jump from nylon, wich gave me doubts on the acrylic sheet, then i was stupid enough to ask dad this morning! dad just went:stop: give me the transformer:sorry: and went gave it to mum:arghh::banghead: so project officially dead and buried untill i am about 35!:meh:
oh and back to school monday cant blag any more time off as mum said if i am fit enough to play with circuits i am fit enough for school

hi L,
Ref your acrylic sheet, look up 'static electricity' its generated when rubbing two surfaces together, like say 'fur' and 'plastic'.

An old party trick is to get an inflated rubber party balloon, rub it with wool [ or your jumper] etc and the 'stick' it on the room ceiling.... static!:rolleyes:

E

hi L,
Ref your acrylic sheet, look up 'static electricity' its generated when rubbing two surfaces together, like say 'fur' and 'plastic'.

An old party trick is to get an inflated rubber party balloon, rub it with wool [ or your jumper] etc and the 'stick' it on the room ceiling.... static!:rolleyes:

E
i can just see mum letting me bring a sheep into the house at xmas just to show them that trick lol! ive got more chance of getting my transformer back :meh:

but am i correct in thinking that any insulator (acrylic sheet) would stop the spark jumping?
Its mostly distanc that will keep you safe.
A spark can only jump so far.
If the acrylic keeps you from getting any closer than the spark can jump than you are safe.

Its mostly distanc that will keep you safe.
A spark can only jump so far.
If the acrylic keeps you from getting any closer than the spark can jump than you are safe.
thanks, but it's all over before it began :( my transformer is confiscated! and to be fair Eric and dad are right, probably best to leave it until i know a fair bit more. apparently according to dad smart people are smart not because of what they know, but are smart because they know when they dont know something.
And uncle Eric wouldn't tell me to leave it if he thought i could handle it, so i have to trust his and dads judgment

You will learn.
A smart man knows when he does not know something and admits it.

I'm not sure if that's it, but yes a smart man who knows he doesn't know something and admits it or should. I know when I should have:p

I don't think that's the problem, I think he knows enough and can do, but will not do, out of respect for "Uncle Eric" and Dad won't let him have the "Transformer" for a long time……….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back