Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it necessary to learn EVERYTHING about electronics before learning Robotics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
arduinos are easily available online, but PIC is a good choice as well.

make sure you have a regulated power supply to make it work properly (an LM7805 should give you the proper 5V reference. look online for schematics for an LM7805 5V regulator)

Last edited:
thanks for advice,

but I dont think i can find an Adruino in the store i go to

so I will start with PIC as soon as i feel ready

thanks,

I think your path will become much clearer once you have established a goal for your project. So far you have said you hope to design a robot capable of making decisions. A 555 and CdS cell can be used to fashion a robot that will decide when the sun comes up, and turn off an LED. Is that the type robot you have in mind, or are you looking for something more complex?

The first order would be to further define your objective, pinpointing the definate decision(s) to be made, and what action is to be taken. On what input will each decision be based? What mechanicals will be involved in performing the action? How much "brain power" will be necessary? Must the robot be mobile, or can its work be done in place?

Answering this type of logical thinking will clearly establish in your mind your final outcome. Then, as you think of ways to reach your objective, you will realize areas you need to master in order to accomplish each task.

Do some "brain work" yourself, and perhaps you will find an answer to most of your questions. At that point, nearly any instructional materials will be useful.

Good luck,
AllVol

Last edited:
I know plenty of stuff about complex numbers, few stuff about matrices, and i know how to solve simultaneous equations.

thanks for advice

Hi again,

That's good too. Any trig yet?

Math is the key to really understanding electronic and mechanical
systems.

arduinos are easily available online, but PIC is a good choice as well.

make sure you have a regulated power supply to make it work properly (an LM7805 should give you the proper 5V reference. look online for schematics for an LM7805 5V regulator)

Thanks for advice! :)

I think your path will become much clearer once you have established a goal for your project. So far you have said you hope to design a robot capable of making decisions. A 555 and CdS cell can be used to fashion a robot that will decide when the sun comes up, and turn off an LED. Is that the type robot you have in mind, or are you looking for something more complex?

The first order would be to further define your objective, pinpointing the definate decision(s) to be made, and what action is to be taken. On what input will each decision be based? What mechanicals will be involved in performing the action? How much "brain power" will be necessary? Must the robot be mobile, or can its work be done in place?

Answering this type of logical thinking will clearly establish in your mind your final outcome. Then, as you think of ways to reach your objective, you will realize areas you need to master in order to accomplish each task.

Do some "brain work" yourself, and perhaps you will find an answer to most of your questions. At that point, nearly any instructional materials will be useful.

Good luck,
AllVol

Thanks for these info.
As for the level of complexity i wanna reach, let's say I wanna make a robot that moves on wheels and avoids obstacles, or a sumo bot, I really think i have to get into microcontrollers, but I donno if i am ready yet.
Thanks again
Hi again,

That's good too. Any trig yet?

Math is the key to really understanding electronic and mechanical
systems.

Yeah I know much trig, but I dont see how trig fits into electronics in the basic level [ i've seen some REALLY complex equations that use the Cosine function and other stuff, but I dont think i will ever be using any of them , right?]

Trig and complex numbers are used when working with AC signals and you want to calculate voltages, currents, and impedance levels of circuits containing resistors, capacitors and inductors. The impedance of such a circuit is represented by a complex number with the real part of the number being the resistive portion and the imaginary part of the number being the reactive portion of the impedance. The impedance is, in general, a function of the signal frequency.

Everybody is talking about electronics concerned with robotics.

Are mechanics out? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back