Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it just me?........

Status
Not open for further replies.
One side note: I am currently attending college as an older student, trying to get my degree in Biology. I have seen a myriad of students while in college. Some are forthright and courteous; some are pretentious little brats, but the majority of students I have encountered are conscientious individuals with a good outlook. I often marvel at their bright and hopeful outlook, and think how wonderful it must be to be so young and full of hope.

The lazy students I see are the ones still trying to find a quick pass through a simple gen ed class. So my view on today’s youth is not as bad as the picture I may have painted in my previous post...

There are many good ones out there :)

Last edited:
hi,
I too have brought up my childred to be respectful and independent, they know where I am when the chips are down
and they come to me for help and advice.

I have been fortunate in that I have been able to influence my grand children and great grandchildren by giving guidance
when they ask for my opinion.

Sadly not all youngsters are so lucky.:(

Last edited:
Sadly not all youngsters are so lucky.:(

I think this is the bottom line. There are many selfish, uncaring parents out there spawning like trout. It is ironic, the most uncaring people seem to reproduce the most and the outcome is mental replicants.

Pity, you need to fill out so many forms to get married, but no forms or guidelines are required to make a baby...

I think this is the bottom line. There are many selfish, uncaring parents out there spawning like trout. It is ironic, the most uncaring people seem to reproduce the most and the outcome is mental replicants.

Pity, you need to fill out so many forms to get married, but no forms or guidelines are required to make a baby...

hi Mike,
Look here:

**broken link removed**

BTW, there are so many posts on here from students where their lecturers have set unrealistic targets and everyone on here has stated such that we should be questioning the competence of the lecturers.

I'll just repeat "Download and watch Survivors"

Mike.

I am in total agreement with Pommie.

While there appears a lack of quality from the teaching community(whether due to lack of ability to update their Knowledge base or due to recruitment of fresh lecturers with lack of abilities), I also doubt the way in which the student community want to do something far ahead of the actual learning process.
Many a time, we get posts like
I want xxxx that can program every thing on the face of earth,
I want it immediately, (funnily,if possible y-day itself),
I am too lazy and/or don't want to waste time,
Oh, no one knows event this much!
I want a FM Tx with (infinite) coverage etc etc

These well indicate lack of standards in education. I feel sad that there are considerable posts like this from my country:mad:

Many a time parents are not in a position to monitor the children's education either due to lack of education for themselves, or due to ignorance, i am not sure!

Last edited:
It seems as though the Church started on the right track, blaming family breakdown which has been my assertion. But then the topic diverts and attempts to blame govt and laborers for encouraging spending and debt.

Spending and debt management is the responsibility of the consumer. Again the lavish lifestyles and free for all spending has developed from the false sense of self entitlement that todays generation feels the have a right to live.

Again we can reflect on the parent unit that led these people down this unforgiving path. Free spending and living the lifestyle of the rich and famous has consequences, none of which were instilled in these young hopefuls.

Now they must face the piper, and pay for a carefree lifestyle. There is no free lunch (Unless your a plant), and now these people are finding that out.

Mature, caring parents teach their offsping responsibility. The counterpart is the majority of the foreclosed homes and bankruptcies filed.

For the lucky child, their parent taught them to be accountable and take care.

These well indicate lack of standards in education. I feel sad that there are considerable posts like this from my country:mad:

I do not think this is an isolated case to people from your country. It has become pandemic.

A lot of very good posts above and none that I would argue against. I guess this is because it is the seeing leading the seeing. It seems that anyone on here that contributes in a positive way also has a balanced and well educated family. I wonder why that is?

I'm really looking forward to seeing how my children succeed in this world. Funny, I wrote that sentence without realising I hadn't considered failure.

Mike.

A lot of very good posts above and none that I would argue against. I guess this is because it is the seeing leading the seeing. It seems that anyone on here that contributes in a positive way also has a balanced and well educated family. I wonder why that is?

I'm really looking forward to seeing how my children succeed in this world. Funny, I wrote that sentence without realising I hadn't considered failure.

Mike.

I think its how you define success and failure.?

I believe it is all about the parenting. Problem is there are a lot of kids with no family, no Dads (and some are probably better off that way). And the kids with no education here resort to selling drugs, steal, etc.

My kids come home loaded with homework. I am always asking my wife "why am I paying all this money when they are doing the school work at home". So even private school has issues.

I can honestly say I have 3 great kids, one I worry a little about (so it's not just you Mikebits :) )

But these days, I worry, will my kids will be OK out there with the bad ones (and they are grossly out numbered). I worry if they are out after midnight on the rare occasion. The economy is just making it worse too, people are shot here in my area every night. The first news story is the same every morning.

If everyone would pull their weight, this would be a better world for sure. But how do you fix the mess we have now? Maybe Al Gore will know :D

I give my kids advice all the time, they always take it. But if they are employed and "happy" in life, that would be success for me.

I think a lot of it has to do with credit and debt. The bankers (same guys begging the government for bail-out money), have been encouraging consumers to buy now, pay later, protect your credit score. Can't build a rating, without taking on some debt. This forces both parents to work, some multiple jobs. It's the parent's responsibility to teach their children, period. Schools, churches, daycare, or who ever the enlist, can't be entrusted with the most important lessons of life. Parents need take the time everyday, and make sure their kids are learning the things that will make them successful and productive later in life.

I don't think most people realize their kids are also an investment to their own future. They seem like a huge burden to raise, but the reward equals what effort they put into it. Some 'kids', in their 30s and 40s, still living at home, usually unemployed... Others make the trip cross town or across state frequently to help with some of the heavier chores, or just to make sure everything is alright.

What ever is convienent.

Sometimes we fall to desire in this country an attitude of justification. What ever is convenient in spite of others. In addition our values have shifted in this country.

life has become more complicated with the added ability of getting needs fulfilled and emediate gratification. Moreover, we depend on our government to handle every need in doing so we have handed them the keys to the car and we no longer have control of our destination.

Government is not the ground fault circuit we are. Our control over how we discipline and provide knowledge to the next generation should be a system well thought out with a moving rule or scale that is scalable for the times. This will give them a fresh bed of knowledge and experience as to not frustrate children who maybe un-able to learn at the level.

But, it should be engineered to provide learning and teaching as some children are not allowed to teach others. Once a skill or knowledge has been shown to be note worthy after approved by a skills test or knowledge test it should be somehow instated and maybe a ranking system that declares them to donate their experiences and knowledge and passing it down to someone who maybe just begging.

This idea came to me out of my experience in martial arts it is not a western philosophy of learning. These then are observed and talked about within the group now you have many people growing within and without and students taking their own time to help other students in off time. We send them to school and give them classes that will in no way better their situation in life they have nothing to do with a major it's just there to take up time for their parents to work and average job and turning them over to a government ran baby sitter until their work day ends.

Thus eats at the budget and delivers us uneducated students with no life skills to fall back on. Only because they need a slave majority to do the dirty work and so they will have the rights and opportunity's that belong to all of us.

I don't think it is planned that way it's just the nut does not fall far from the tree. It just depends on where and how they are planted. We need a tribe or village mentality even though they world is a large place there should be some kind of standard after so many century's of doing the same thing.

kv

Last edited:
Not just the government, looks like the oil people. Gas was over $4 a gallon a couple months ago, it was not the people the bring it out of the ground that lowered it. Wall Street is a problem too. Also, insurance companies and more. And you need to have insurance for a car, house, health, etc.

Just got a bill for $2500 from my insurance company about 10 minutes ago. Nice enough that they at least they waited a couple days after Christmas to mail it. Their Happy New Years card I guess, but seems a happier new year for them than I. Can not tell you what I pay them a month as it is. This country is falling apart.

So I guess my first week or so of work in 2009 will be for them, that leave 51 weeks left. Wonder what the IRS gets?

Not just the government, looks like the oil people. Gas was over $4 a gallon a couple months ago, it was not the people the bring it out of the ground that lowered it. Wall Street is a problem too. Also, insurance companies and more. And you need to have insurance for a car, house, health, etc.

Just got a bill for $2500 from my insurance company about 10 minutes ago. Nice enough that they at least they waited a couple days after Christmas to mail it. Their Happy New Years card I guess, but seems a happier new year for them than I. Can not tell you what I pay them a month as it is. This country is falling apart.

So I guess my first week or so of work in 2009 will be for them, that leave 51 weeks left. Wonder what the IRS gets?

Here is the same.

The oil barrel price is 1/5 of the peak value and the gas price here raised (somehow!). In the peak price, I'd pay $4 per gallon, now I pay $4.5 (I dunno how to do this magic).

Taxes are always high, even with the market going down, (60% for imported goods, ~5% for industrialized products, 18% for services, and so...)

Here is the same.

The oil barrel price is 1/5 of the peak value and the gas price here raised (somehow!). In the peak price, I'd pay $4 per gallon, now I pay $4.5 (I dunno how to do this magic).

Taxes are always high, even with the market going down, (60% for imported goods, ~5% for industrialized products, 18% for services, and so...)

I'm sure we all have it going on at some level in our countries. And I bet someone knows who it doing it and getting a little piece not to talk. :)

I would not be surprises if it's world wide group and not just our local people in the US and Brazil. UK guys have paid higher gas prices (a lot higher) than the US for years. There must be a Global Politicians Union ran by the Oil companies. :D

Or maybe the planet is so big and overloaded, but the gas going from $2 to $4+ in a couple years here, word recession pops up and in 2 months under $1.75 here in the US. Actually lower now.

Taxes here are not too bad, but that might be because I have paid them for 35 years and just do not look anymore. When the do it slow we do not watch, send me a $2500 medical bill and I look real fast.

I would not be surprises if it's world wide group and not just our local people in the US and Brazil. UK guys have paid higher gas prices (a lot higher) than the US for years. There must be a Global Politicians Union ran by the Oil companies. :D

The UK has the cheapest and most efficient oil distribution system in Europe - yet has the highest prices. Simply because the price is mostly goverment taxes - we even have to pay tax on the tax!. A number of years ago they added VAT (Value Added Tax - currently 15% following a recent drop from 17.5%) to petrol prices, which were already mainly tax.

So maybe healthcare and other "freebies" really aren't free. You just are paying for them in installments at the pump.

John

So maybe healthcare and other "freebies" really aren't free. You just are paying for them in installments at the pump.

John

You think we don't understand that?

How else would government spending be paid for other than by taxes? (apart from ridiculous levels of borrowing, of course)

Maybe you are saying something just too subtle for me to understand ... maybe I need some smilies to see the joke ...

Where were we..........oh ****, I forgot!:D

The UK has the cheapest and most efficient oil distribution system in Europe - yet has the highest prices. Simply because the price is mostly goverment taxes - we even have to pay tax on the tax!. A number of years ago they added VAT (Value Added Tax - currently 15% following a recent drop from 17.5%) to petrol prices, which were already mainly tax.

We didn't like the British tax system, and did something about it... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back