Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is hot glue conductive??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever considered...solder ?

But im pretty sure glue is not conductive, though, if whatever you are putting glue on heats up(to the meltin point of glue). you'd prob have glue everwhere

Last edited:
Hot glue doesn't conduct, use an ohmmeter... Never tested when melted though. Used it many times to re-enforce thin wires and tabs on small solar panels, works great.

It's not conductive and melting it should not make any difference.

I wish to use the glue to hold the parts in place for soldering. Using a bare perf board, no copper.

The glue melts at a much lower temperature than solder. You should keep that in mind. I just bend the leads to hold them in place. I try to use them to make connections to other parts best I can. Even use the clipped leads to extend or jump...

I just bend the leads like Harvey said, they don't go anywhere. Hot glue will also insulate the part a little bit.

never heard of superglue being used,,,,i tried it once and when the gun hit the glue the resulting vapors felt like my nostrils and eyes were being burned off not to mention it knocked me on my ass

Dont let the city kids know that! It could become the next rage! like sniffing paint or gasoline fumes. :( :eek:
Then everyone will be required to have a background check followed by a 7 day waiting period to buy a soldering gun! :D

Gotta be careful with super glue, get any on the leads and you won't be able to solder it to save your life. A lot of boards I've taken apart have a potting compound on them that is just like hot glue.

Sometimes a rubbery compound is used to fix coils on SMPS boards.
I guess it is to reduce vibration.

It appears of a similar stickiness as hotglue.

Hotglue is not a bad idea, especially during experimenting and not having the components fall over the time when breadboarding or experimenting.

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a go too during experiments.

You should probably bend the leads anyways, if you have a nice snuf fit for the component before you solder it makes for solder joint that'll be less stressed by vibration.

Dont let the city kids know that! It could become the next rage! like sniffing paint or gasoline fumes. :( :eek:
Then everyone will be required to have a background check followed by a 7 day waiting period to buy a soldering gun! :D
That won't work, they'll only start smoking it!

They'll soak paper in glue, roll it up, allow it to dry and smoke it until they get off their faces.

Perhaps the moderator should consider deleting this thread so they don't get any ides.;)

Kids, don't smoke superglue, it's really bad for your health.

Mmmm. . . smoking superglue. Now, I smoke cigarettes (yes, I'm sadly still not quite smart enough to quit), I solder, and I use an arc welder. All of these things give off smoke which isn't good for you at all.

But something about breathing in smoke from a substance called 'cyanoacrylate' just sounds terribly wrong to me. ;)

Torben

As a sidenote, if you want to loosen some object that is fastened with hot glue, apply some regular rubbing alcohol to the joint and the bond is broken.

Acetone is used to unglue Superglue. Nail polish remover works because it is acetone.

If my advice was wrong, I'm very sorry. I remember reading that.
I may have been confused because in "manhatten style" construction the pads are often held in place by Superglue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back