Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is DIY pcb feasible for hobbyist

Status
Not open for further replies.

ced

Hi,
Pic24 seem interesting, but I wonder if it's possible for a hobbyist like me to etch a pcb with such thin tracks .
In the datasheet, the pitch is said to be 0.5 mm with 0.2 or 0.3 mm track width.
Has someone succeeded to etch such thin tracks ?
Up to now I've using laser printer and iron perchlorure , but I am ok to try other
technique if it's possible to get thinner tracks.
Thanks,
Cédric

I just did some .20 tracks (guessing), printed from a PDF I got online. The jagged lines still etched okay, only two repairs needed. Think I etched too long, and it got under the toner. For one or two boards, its the least expensive way to go. I use Pulsar paper, some say they can do .10 traces with 'just magazine paper', but he was banned for a month, should be back soon (hope), and can give you the details.

Attachments

• P1010479.JPG
    P1010479.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 870
Hi,
Pic24 seem interesting, but I wonder if it's possible for a hobbyist like me to etch a pcb with such thin tracks .
In the datasheet, the pitch is said to be 0.5 mm with 0.2 or 0.3 mm track width.
Has someone succeeded to etch such thin tracks ?
Up to now I've using laser printer and iron perchlorure , but I am ok to try other
technique if it's possible to get thinner tracks.
Thanks,
Cédric
for PIC24 in TQFP package, you might need a double sided PCB with or without PTH and later manage the Through holes. if your chip is a DIP type perhaps single sided would do.

Why not try for Pre sensitized copper clad with UV exposure using a table fluorescent lamp. you would get the best for your needs. you may see a Youtube video clearly explaining the modes operand i. see here
YouTube - Photo-etching printed circuit board (homebrew PCB)

Why not try for Pre sensitized copper clad with UV exposure using a table fluorescent lamp. you would get the best for your needs. you may see a Youtube video clearly explaining the modes operand i. see here
YouTube - Photo-etching printed circuit board (homebrew PCB)

He'll get the best for his needs making a 1:1 positive or negative contact film using the laser printed transparency foil.

Using a laser print directly to expose photoresist will cause countless microscopic breaks in 0.3mm traces since the toner density won't be equal over the length of a trace. If 0.3mm is the absolute trace minimum for a given current the PCB will blow up sooner or later due to increased resistance within those "blind" spots.

I produced several kilograms of garbage that way, not considered the wasted time.

Best method yet: Gerber photoplotter

Boncuk

Last edited:
Boncuk said:
Using a laser print directly to expose photoresist will cause countless microsopic breaks in 0.3mm traces since the toner density won't be equal over the length of a trace
Pulsar make a foil to seal the microscopic holes in the toner. Although it is normaly used for toner transfer it may work to beef up the image used for the photo method.

3v0

I myself use PULSAR method

with great results.
Most of my traces are .025 inches or .64mm
have done .006 inch traces with no problem but not really needed.
found using the lighter weight board 1oz vers 2oz boards better.
less if any underetching of traces.
found using 1 part muratic acid and 2 parts hydrogen peroxide cheaper and easier than the messy brown gunk sold.
yes pcboards for diy is very feasible
check out

He'll get the best for his needs making a 1:1 positive or negative contact film using the laser printed transparency foil.

Using a laser print directly to expose photoresist will cause countless microscopic breaks in 0.3mm traces since the toner density won't be equal over the length of a trace. If 0.3mm is the absolute trace minimum for a given current the PCB will blow up sooner or later due to increased resistance within those "blind" spots.

I produced several kilograms of garbage that way, not considered the wasted time. by the way
Best method yet: Gerber photoplotter

Boncuk
I do agree that photo film positive made from a negative or using laser method is the best, instead of laser printer transparency.
what could be the type used as shown in the Youtube video i referred?
any comments or detailed info like brand and model of the paper used?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back