Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR link

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark

Hi,
Are short distance IR links also prone to atmospheric conditions . I this for a distance of 3feet or so f og or rain wont produce much attenuation . Pleas provide your feedback.

Rgds

Hi,
Are short distance IR links also prone to atmospheric conditions . I this for a distance of 3feet or so f og or rain wont produce much attenuation . Pleas provide your feedback.

Rgds

hi,
It depends a lot on the power output of the IR emitter, I guess you are pulsing the emitter.??

Rain is not so bad, Fog can be a problem [ some motor way Fog detector systems work using IR absorption thru the light path]

The worst problems I have found are snow and condensation on the lens/optics.

EDIT:
Look at the graph in this link for the 'best' IR frequencies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_absorption_by_water

Last edited:
hi,
It depends a lot on the power output of the IR emitter, I guess you are pulsing the emitter.??

Rain is not so bad, Fog can be a problem [ some motor way Fog detector systems work using IR absorption thru the light path]

The worst problems I have found are snow and condensation on the lens/optics.

EDIT:
Look at the graph in this link for the 'best' IR frequencies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_absorption_by_water

Hi , thanks for the reply , yes the emitter would be carrier modulated at 40Khz . Ican increase emitter power say the emitter spec provides an intensity spec of 100mW/sr , considering fog atteunation and the closeness of the link at 3~4feet what optical power would be required , any link would be helpful . Please omit snow from the list as there would be shade in line of side but fog would certainly come in between . I am working on a system that would allow known vehicles (with transponder) inside the barrier and deny access to unknown .

I would suggest that you use a TSOP 40kHz detector module, the IR Emitter could be a SFH486 type, ensure that the TX and RX are within the same nM region.

Attachments

• SFH486.pdf
    81.4 KB · Views: 141
the transmission will be prone to disturbances if particulates are present in the ether medium.for 3 meter or so, use more than two IR module in series to increment the power of the IR radiation.

the transmission will be prone to disturbances if particulates are present in the ether medium.for 3 meter or so, use more than two IR module in series to increment the power of the IR radiation.

hi,
As I understand the OP, its only 3 to 4 feet.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back