Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR lighting control

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdmwc

hey guys, im trying to build a project but cant seem to figure out the electronics part. i need to build a circuit so that when an object passes a certain point, it shut off a couple leds and flash other leds for a couple seconds and then turn the original leds back on. i was thinking about using an IR beam sensor. could anyone help me out? i know a bit about electronics and components, but to put it all together is :eek:

Last edited:
Hi Eric, thank you for your response. it will be below a 6inch hole. i need it to trigger if anything passes through the 6inch hole. so up to about 10inches depending on mounting of the sensors.

Hi Eric, thank you for your response. it will be below a 6inch hole. i need it to trigger if anything passes through the 6inch hole. so up to about 10inches depending on mounting of the sensors.

hi,
A IR emitter diode and detector will work over a 10 inch range.

You can also buy TSOP dedicated TX and RX modules

Look at this link:

Infrared Emitters | Farnell United Kingdom

yes, i was looking at a vishay component that had the emitter and reciever all in one. it would be a passive system working off of reflected ir. i dont know the range on it though. i need some help with the rest of the circuit though. i know i can use a transister to flash the leds, or use a 555 timer circuit, but i have no idea what cicuitry i will need for the ir components and how to get it to shut off the leds for a time so the others can flash for a few seconds and then turn the other ones on again.

yes, i was looking at a vishay component that had the emitter and reciever all in one. it would be a passive system working off of reflected ir. i dont know the range on it though. i need some help with the rest of the circuit though. i know i can use a transister to flash the leds, or use a 555 timer circuit, but i have no idea what cicuitry i will need for the ir components and how to get it to shut off the leds for a time so the others can flash for a few seconds and then turn the other ones on again.

hi,
You need to specify the leds, the sequencing and the power supply before we can suggest a circuit.:)

lol, thank you eric, it looks like i left out valuable information. :p well, the leds that will be on before and after the flashing takes place will be between 1 and 4 leds. they will either be red, blue, white, or green. ( i believe if i stick with about 3v @ .20ma it will be fine for all) As far as the flashing leds go, if i were to be able to make the previously stated leds flash for a few seconds when triggered by the ir sensor. then the leds go back constant. if not, then i would use more of the above stated leds as the flashing leds, whichever would be easier. as far as the flash rate, one or 2 times per second. the power supply would be either 6 or 9volt battery pack. if you need more specific information, please let me know and i will post it. thank you again!

ok, i have a little more specifics. it will be one led. i need it to be on constant, then when the IR sensor is triggered, that led will flash for 3 to 5 seconds. then it will go back on constant. i will be using a 9volt dc source. any help is much appreciated!! thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back