Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR led/photodiode in logitech mouse scroll wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

emit

Hi, I snipped off the scroll wheel related IR components in my logitech mx518, due to the scroll wheel scrolling pages and zooming 3d games in erratic bursts at random times.

Now my mouse is perfectly stable but I'm beginning to miss the scrollwheel functionality. I know mice are cheap, but I bought this mx518 because my old mx1000 also succumbed to the same problem. I don't know if I'm an abuser of scrollwheels, but I don't want to constantly replace otherwise perfectly good mice.

Are these parts generic enough that I can buy replacements at radioshack or digikey and solder them back in?

How can I identify potential replacement parts? The thing on the left has "h5n38" stamped on it; googling that term was futile.

Attachments

• irscroll.jpg
    irscroll.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 908
Hi, I snipped off the scroll wheel related IR components in my logitech mx518, due to the scroll wheel scrolling pages and zooming 3d games in erratic bursts at random times.

Now my mouse is perfectly stable but I'm beginning to miss the scrollwheel functionality. I know mice are cheap, but I bought this mx518 because my old mx1000 also succumbed to the same problem. I don't know if I'm an abuser of scrollwheels, but I don't want to constantly replace otherwise perfectly good mice.

Are these parts generic enough that I can buy replacements at radioshack or digikey and solder them back in?

How can I identify potential replacement parts? The thing on the left has "h5n38" stamped on it; googling that term was futile.

I am a long time user of two Logitech trackballs that I have never had any problem with, true the little pads the ball runs on needs to be cleaned once in a while but that is all.

It is hard to understand why this is happening, are you sure it is not just dust or dirt?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back