Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ipod/Cooler project

Status
Not open for further replies.

casl37

Hello,

I was a EE major, and ended up in law school (i know, big mistake). Hence, I'm very rusty and need some help.

I want to turn a cooler into a boombox, playing tunes from my Ipod. What kind of amplifier do i need? Could I use a simple LM386 one? Someone also recommended a TDA7052. I found kits for both, but what if i want some nuts coming out, like two 60W speakers? I thought these two would give me a 1W output, but is that enough to run two 5-12" speakers?

Thanks!!

Carlos

An LM3886 will drive 4 ohm speakers to a max of 68 watts.

I've seen a cooler boom box, where they put some auto speakers into an open cooler.

The acoustics didn't seem right at all. Sounds like the box is has heavy resonances and kinda rings out.

Also the interior is usually polyethylene or polypropylene. No glue works well, it'll need screws , bolts, or rivets.

A cheap clock radio has an output of about 1W.
An LM386 amplifier has an output of a whopping 450mW into an 8 ohm speaker with a 9V supply, only 200mW with a 6V supply.
A TDA7052 has an output of 500mW at low distortion and 1W at high distortion into an 8 ohm speaker with a 6V supply.
A TDA7240A has an output of 7W into a 4 ohm speaker with a 10V supply or 14W with a 13.8V supply.
Flea-power to boombox-power, your choice.

A cooler is not stiff enough to be a good enclosure for a loudspeaker. No sides of a speaker's enclosure sould resonate. When rapped with your knuckles the side should make a "thud" sound. A cooler would make a good drum, not a speaker's enclosure.

3v0 said:
I know we are supposed to be nice and help everyone.

But perhaps helping a future lawyer is going to far :rolleyes:

You know that many engineers use their degree to become lawyers right? Has something to do with needing a professional degree first and with the combined powers of an engineer and lawyer you can pick apart certain cases to a unthinkable level!

can you guys see my replies?

Ok, I guess this one went through.

Here's one already done, as i've seen before.

**broken link removed**

Dknguyen is right. Engineering+Law= Patent law

thanks again guys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back