Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

iPhone5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its a fake, but if apple does it then it's good.
IMO, apple requires still more time to furnish those features on iPhone.

What is your idea if the holographic mounted on Iphone5 is real or it just is a fake?

It says in the Youtube description that it is computer generated. It shows at the top right the logo for an animation company based in San Francisco.

Using my inner Sherlock I deduce that it's simply an interesting product concept.

Anybody claiming to have actual advance information on an Apple product release is most likely (but not always) talking nonsense.

Shoot, I just got a Iphone 4, up to 5 now? Geezo...

I love getting apps, so cool.

The only feature displayed in the video that is technically possible is the laser keyboard which they actually do make, however it couldn't work at the low angle shown in the video, isn't visible in bright lighting and can't be filled in like is shown in the video, it also has some serious interface issues which is why no one uses them, aside from the pricetag.

The only feature displayed in the video that is technically possible is the laser keyboard which they actually do make, however it couldn't work at the low angle shown in the video, isn't visible in bright lighting and can't be filled in like is shown in the video, it also has some serious interface issues which is why no one uses them, aside from the pricetag.

High methods/technology is used in sensing the finger position. I doubt its accuracy, but website say they've made it precise.
View attachment 60474

I've seen a few reviews and the biggest problem seems to be the distance above the virtual keyboard you have to raise your finger before it will sense the next keystroke. My fingertips barley float over the surface of the keys of my keyboard and I already have trouble with capacitive touch screens, that's actually one of the main reasons I dislike the Iphone so much is there are no versions with slide out QWERTY keyboards. I have an Android phone with a full QWERTY and can get 30-40 WPM just fine.

There is more than likely going to be continued cutting edge Android phone's that have slide out keyboards so Android it is for me.

I've seen a few reviews and the biggest problem seems to be the distance above the virtual keyboard you have to raise your finger before it will sense the next keystroke. My fingertips barley float over the surface of the keys of my keyboard and I already have trouble with capacitive touch screens, that's actually one of the main reasons I dislike the Iphone so much is there are no versions with slide out QWERTY keyboards. I have an Android phone with a full QWERTY and can get 30-40 WPM just fine.

There is more than likely going to be continued cutting edge Android phone's that have slide out keyboards so Android it is for me.

In a Laser keyboard, how will the sensor detect whether the fingers are touching the surface/not. A person can have it slightly above a key, but the sensor can detect it as touching. They may have some major issues like that too.

Yep, i've also had some probs with the touchscreens. sometimes i end up typing someother words, but most of the times the auto dectection corrects the spelling mistakes by itself. BTW 30-40WPM, thats a big number, keep it up!

I haven't used an Android phone, but nothing so special about it... it's just an other OS with same features.

touch detection is done via an optical reciever at the base that pics up the reflected light when the finger breaks the laser beam, that and the info from the camera are used to determine location and touch state.

If you say Android is the same as IOS with the same features then you definitly don't know anything about it. IOS is a closed proprietary OS that Apple controls with an iron fist. Android is an opensource .

The similarities between IOS and Android on the surface is superficial at best their bones are drastically different.

If you say Android is the same as IOS with the same features then you definitly don't know anything about it. IOS is a closed proprietary OS that Apple controls with an iron fist. Android is an opensource .

The similarities between IOS and Android on the surface is superficial at best their bones are drastically different.

Opensource! i didn know that, i haven't used an android yet. So i had that feeling, but i'll google it to know how its features and how it's advantageous than ios.

It wasn't simple before EE, the entire device class never existed before. I'm not talking about 'phone's but the pocket computer class which is what these devices really are, the fact that they can make a phone call too is a side-note now.

Just think, 12 years ago the state of the art desktop computer micro processor speed record was broken, claimed by Intel (I'll leave the officialness of that to people that care about such things! ;) was 1ghz. And that's for a desktop machine. The current line of Iphone and Android based device are standard with dual core 1ghz chips. The display resolution vs size and video processing ability rivals the top of the line entertainment system available, the main thing lacking is audio and that's fixed via the use of headphones.

The current line of Iphone and Android based device are standard with dual core 1ghz chips. The display resolution vs size and video processing ability rivals the top of the line entertainment system available, the main thing lacking is audio and that's fixed via the use of headphones.

Yes, and i products(atleast mine) will be awake 24x7, but yet they won't get warm/hot. I don't really see advantage while adding HD videos to them. Their screens are so small and i think they don't require HD videos, a smaller resolution like 360p would be good. What do you have to comment on these?

Main thing for me is: You require a technical support for each new thing you do on Apple. Like adding video, sync prob with PC, recognizin them on PC, so on... I guess Android has no problem like that.

I don't really see advantage while adding HD videos to them. Their screens are so small and i think they don't require HD videos, a smaller resolution like 360p would be good. What do you have to comment on these?

Screen size itself is not a determining factor for visual impact on a display alone, the distance to the display has to be taken into consideration, as well as it's resolution. I attached a link to a calculator that lets you figure out the optimal distance recommendations for the resolving ability for typical human visual acuity.

320P (QHD) is fine for general use, but personally, the higher the better =) Right now I have a 3.5 inch screen Android phone which is 800x480 resolution which is JUST shy of being called QHD and I can say I'm very happy with the display but more would be better.

I personally would like a 4 inch display that could do 720P, once you get to that point you're just being a video snob though, and it's only good for personal use.

The WHOLE scenario changes when you switch over to tablets though, which these devices are morphing into with the Ipad and the plethora of 10 inch Android tablets on the market that have the same general specs as a phone but are 4 times the size.

Mind you I'm no expert, but given what you and other Iphone users I know have said and what I've experienced with Android devices I think Apple's dominance is dropping off a cliff, in the next 3-5 years I can see it losing it's appeal to Android devices as the active developers of it (Google) really pour some brain power into it to make the devices general user experience a little more flawless.

Android devices are a bit more technically complex than Idevices because of their open access, however it's much the same as Windows vs Linux was a few years ago. Oddly enough this isn't far from reality. Windows is/was a closed proprietary operating system, Linux is open sourced and free to the masses. Just swap Apple with Microsoft and Linux with Android and you have a direct comparison, again oddly enough it's almost direct because Android devices actually ARE Linux based devices, the programming environment for Android is Java though.

I rooted my phone the moment I got it which gives you the pleasure of being able to run a terminal emulator with full access to the device, and nothing to me says 'home' like a good old fasion total access command prompt. The rootkit I used even has busybox (single executable emulates the vast majority of all useful Linux command)

Nothing says 'this is my device' like running a text based TOP with super user access from the command line.

Screen size itself is not a determining factor for visual impact on a display alone, the distance to the display has to be taken into consideration, as well as it's resolution. I attached a link to a calculator that lets you figure out the optimal distance recommendations for the resolving ability for typical human visual acuity.
i was going through the link.

1.2 Feet Maximum Viewing Distance for NTSC/PAL(720x480/720x576)
0.5 Feet Maximum Viewing Distance for HDTV(Fully resolved 1080i; 1920 x 1080)

Distance should increase as resolution increase right?
What should be the min distance? in acc to health aspects.
I've experienced with Android devices I think Apple's dominance is dropping off a cliff, in the next 3-5 years I can see it losing it's appeal to Android devices as the active developers of it (Google) really pour some brain power into it to make the devices general user experience a little more flawless.

Now, i have that feeling. Moreover android is cheaper, better and user friendly(no iTunes).

Last edited:
Distance should increase as resolution increase right?
No it doesn't. The distance decreases as resolution increases as far as human visual acuity goes. Distance only goes UP with decrease in resolution or in the size of the display in relation to the pixel size.

I consider myself a videophile, QHD on a 4 inch screen... is good enough. Give it a couple years and they'll be able to create displays so far beyond visual perception that you'd need to magnify them to even be visable... This however will be a good thing as it will enable contact or glasses based heads up that are virtual overlays.

These are trends though, likley nothing you or I will see in our lifetimes, but maybe.

The keyboard-less thing on the Iphone gave me fits at first, but somehow after time, I have been able to train my digits to function with the touchscreen. It just takes some getting use to.

Mike, why would I spend the time to get used to something that I don't need to? My throughput in practical text messaging/email is within 75% or so of the worlds record for text entry on a cell phone. The sliders are slightly more bulky than a non-slider but at the same time that extra structural support is already more than needed on todays cell phones anyways, so it's a win win win for me. Keep in mind all the extra shortcut functions you can add to a phone that uses a physical keyboard, the only advantage not having the keyboard has is a slight decrease in size and weight which can hardly be considered to be necessary.

As they say, to each his own. Personally I really like my Iphone. I also have dragon dictation app (Was free), so don't even have to type if choose not to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back