Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverter for battery powered Coffee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
audioguru said:
There is nothing like nice stale 10 hours old coffee!
I thought the school kid wanted fresh coffee. He should also grind it in his locker.
Hey. Why is a school kid drinking coffee?
Stale coffee? Hardly but in my case it's usually hot soup or hot chocolate which doesn't go stale that quickly. Besides, after spending several hours 20' up in a tree stand amidst winter cold and snow, even a slightly stale cup of coffee is welcomed!!

Does anybody know why 'instant coffee' has such a foul taste?

I agree with the college kid, coffee is at its finest, when freshly brewed.

haha you guys are hilarious and thanks for all of your help and advice.
Yeah, I had already thought about the thermos, but there are a few reasons why I would like to use this method to get coffee into school as a last resort.
Firstly its hard to get that fresh coffee taste out of a thermos as someone earlier mentioned. I mean, It works, and it's great if there is nothing else available.
Secondly, the coffee maker I have makes single serving cups and it would take a while to sit there and fill up the thermos 8 ounces at a time, this is also being that I am not the most punctual of persons.

and there is always that aforementioned coolness factor of having a coffee machine in my locker.

but at this point, my dream is pretty much crushed.

There is one more idea I have though, though basing on my knowledge, and how past ideas worked out, I am not very optimistic.

Today, while I was walking to my locker, I happened to notice that there is an power outlet almost directly across from my locker and I was thinking that if i used a few of those smaller car (motorcycle?) batteries to power the coffee machine (the normal size will not fit, my locker is too small) and then when I was running low on power just plug it in for a little bit and let it recharge.

Now i'm sure if faculty saw me running an extension cord from my locker, something would go wrong. As Hitech mentioned that it is against policy to have a heating element in my locker, I am going to check my school handbook to see if there is any rule that really points this out, because if i do get discovered, I can't get in much trouble because you can't break a rule if it doesnt exist right? This in mind and besides the whole running an extension cord across the hallway part, chances that I will be discovered are nominal at best.

So tell me:
Will this new idea work, or is it just another daydream?

Your help is appreciated,

Kukla

kukla said:
Will this new idea work, or is it just another daydream?

Just another day dream - you really need a LOT of power, either big stacks of big batteries, or mains powered.

Also bear in mind, you would need to leave the charging lead in place for hours to recharge the batteries!.

Unfortunately, it is larger batteries you need, not smaller. The moto batteries may have enough energy to make a few cups, but the rate that the machine tries to take current from the battery is far too high and as such the internal resistance of the batteries will cause them to heat and explode!

Mabye with 6x12v, giving 72v total, the current requirement would be acceptable for them? Again, you'll need a custom invertor though (most likely a custom made transformer?) and i'm almost certain it is against school policy :D

Dr.EM said:
Unfortunately, it is larger batteries you need, not smaller. The moto batteries may have enough energy to make a few cups, but the rate that the machine tries to take current from the battery is far too high and as such the internal resistance of the batteries will cause them to heat and explode!

Mabye with 6x12v, giving 72v total, the current requirement would be acceptable for them? Again, you'll need a custom invertor though (most likely a custom made transformer?) and i'm almost certain it is against school policy :D

Use ten of them in series, and power the coffee maker directly? - I imagine many will work off DC as well as AC?.

kukla said:
This in mind and besides the whole running an extension cord across the hallway part
Our safety commitee at work calls this a slip/trip/fall hazard! I envision droves of school kids walking down the hall, paying attention as usual, and gracefully stepping over the 50 ft. extension cord that coils accross the 10 ft. hallway! lol
kukla said:
Today, while I was walking to my locker, I happened to notice that there is an power outlet almost directly across from my locker and I was thinking that if i used a few of those smaller car (motorcycle?) batteries to power the coffee machine (the normal size will not fit, my locker is too small) and then when I was running low on power just plug it in for a little bit and let it recharge.
And now you want to hook up a "few" motorcycle batteries to a charger in your locker? Where are you going to put your school supplies?

You could preheat the water at home and take it to school in a thermos. Then, when you get to school, dispense the water from the thermos into a cup and dunk your little coffee discs just like tea bags. Keep your cup and discs in the locker and just pretend like you have a coffee maker in there;)

Let's take a couple of steps back here and think logically applying some priorities here. You're in school to learn -- first and foremost, not to be focused on sipping flown-in fresh Columbian coffee personally brewed by Juan Valdez himself!! I'd love to be the janitor taking a pair of bolt cutters to your locker's padlock to remove the potential chemical and fire hazards presented by heating elements, batteries, and inverter electronics! Get up earlier in the morning and down a fresh brewed cup at home and then grab a cup to go as you leave for school. Sheesh, what kind of wheel are we trying to reinvent here afterall?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back