Inverse Log in MS Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich D.

This one has always baffled me for years now. I hope somebody here can tell me what the function(s) is/are to do a base 10 log in excel.
I found the function to calculate dB: =LOG10(x), but I can't find the inverse to do the formula the other way around.

for example, given the reference voltage and the input voltage, in excel it is: answer=20*LOG10(input/reference).

I want to calculate it the other way around, given the reference voltage and the dB gain, so I'm looking for: answer=????(gain, reference)
Not too complicated, but trying to find the function in XL has stumped me.

Starting with:

answer=20*LOG10(input/reference).

Input = Reference x 10^(Answer/20)

Does that help?

JimB

Your title is misleading as I thought this was a question about inductive reactance (XL).
You can use a log property rule so: answer = 20log10(input)-20log10(reference).

-------------------------edit------------------------------------------------------
I see Jim answered the question while I was typing. His method looks better, so just ignore mine

Thanks Jim! Helps more than you could imagine!

You mean all this time I was searching for a text-entered formula and it was something I was using all the time? I guess I don't understand math that well, been out of school too long.

Sorry Mikebits, didn't mean to mislead, just too lazy to type the e ce l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…