Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interwebnet Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane2oo2

Hello
Couldnt quite decide wether to put this in robotics/uC's so i put it here :wink:

well anyway. Does anybody know what is the best/easiest language which can be used to interface with the serial/parallel port? (through the internet..ie..over a webpage)
would it have to be linked to a program made in C++/VB ?
basically i would like to control a pic over the internet through a webpage

Any ideas?

Thanks
Kane

thanks for the reply

i have never used perl...but have apache running. What should i search for (tutorial wise) to find about sending commands to programs?
how did you learn perl?

Thanks
Kane

Perl is a rich language with lots of features, but you can get by fairly easily without all of the extras.

to get apache going with perl, search around for mod_perl tutorial or something along those lines. That will get you up and running with a perl cgi interface. The perl routines will extract the arguments from the web page for you, you just have to act on them.

Using the backtics, you can execute command line programs directly from perl:

my $name="crust";
`echo $name`;

Perl is very good at making "intelligent shell scripts" though it can be used for whole programs, cgi, etc.

As for how I learned it? Well, pretty much just by using it -- they didnt teach it in either undergraduate or graduate school. If I got stuck, I would just search around the newsgroup archive until I found a viable solution. It saved a ton of time when I did my phd research -- I had all of my experiments, data collection, and the extraction automated.

thanks
well i have just downloaded an ebook on perl ... lets hope i can make something of it :lol:

(btw is perl the only language capable of such things? or are there others)
Kane

You can use java, perl, c, c++, most anything, but perl is probably the easiest to use and get working quickly. in particular, it has very rich text processing capabilities -- they come in quite helpful when building web interfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back