Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internet hassles

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeepa

Hello all

Can anybody think of any reason why bytes would be transferred over an internet connection,when no site is actually open?
I have a connection where 6 users share a cable modem.immidiately after i connect to the internet,bytes start getting sent in huge numbers,like1-2MB within a minute.No site is open,nothing.Is there any way of knowing whats happening?
I tried doing stuff like installing a firewall and changing the password...of no help.My service provider has been of no help and since I have a bytes based package,its causing me a lot of grief... :cry:

Any ideas anyone?
Thnaks

could some spy-ware be installed on your computer?
I'd suggest finding a spy-ware removal program and running that.

other than that, I dunno what to tell you.

hi,
Since you say your sharing your internet, may be others are using it at the same time.
also do check your computer for viruses or adware which some times tend to use your bandwidth and send some data.

regards

jrz126 said:
could some spy-ware be installed on your computer?
I'd suggest finding a spy-ware removal program and running that.

I agree, it sounds like you have some spyware installed on your computer, perhaps more than one? - there's loads of it about recently.

I would suggest trying more than one removal tool, they don't all appear to find the same problems.

Thanks a lot everyone.
I installed the spy-bot removal tool,it seems to have pretty much done the job.But as it is apparently better to have more than one spyware removal tools,which other one would you all suggest?
Thanks.

or just use linux :p I have never got a single bit of spyware. I have enven tried via using WINE.

But seriusly, you will always get a bit of traffic going out of your machine it is normally the DHCP communication and general low-level MS DNS traffic.

But this is very low. In the order of a few 100bytes every 5/10min.

dito styx

imho to keep yourself protected, Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-aware and some antivirus software should be all you need. (first two are free, and some of the best). You can go further, I also have a small prog called 'Spyware Guard' (again free) which actively protects you. I haven't ever had any spyware, but i did manage to contract CoolWebSearch a while back :oops: (I only started using the above programs after the CWS infection)

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back