Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internal PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisdan

I'm running the PIC18F4550 on a 20Mhz crystal, is there any way I can use the PLL to run it at 40Mhz? I'm a bit confused on the fuse settings, as it seems the PLL is only for USB?

As an off-topic question too, does anyone know where I can find a simple bootloader to program the PIC via USB?

Hi,

No experience with the 4550 although have used the PLL and external xtal in a 4520. Just down loaded the 4550 data sheet. Looks like you will be able to get 48MHz from your 20MHz xtal but not 40MHz: 20MHz / 5 to get 4MHz for input to PLL. Then 96MHz PLL output / 2 to give 48MHz.

Section 2.2.4 on page 27 of the data sheet says

PIC18F2455/2550/4255/4550 devices include a Phase Locked Loop (PLL) circuit. This is provided specifically for USB applications with lower speed oscillators and can also be used as a microcontroller clock source.

So, it sounds like it doesn't have to be used just for the USB module.

I'm running the PIC18F4550 on a 20Mhz crystal, is there any way I can use the PLL to run it at 40Mhz? I'm a bit confused on the fuse settings, as it seems the PLL is only for USB?

Yep the PLL works for the main clock as well. For example I had these settings for my '4550 to run at max speed (12MIPS):
Code:
        CONFIG	FOSC = HSPLL_HS               ; XT oscillator, XT used by USB
	CONFIG	CPUDIV = OSC1_PLL2	      ; Divide PLL output by 2 (96MHz/2 = 48 MHz clock for CPU)
	CONFIG	PLLDIV = 2		      ; PLL Divide by 2 (8MHz Crystal)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back