Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

internal batteries do they need to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Hawley

oscilloscope question

:confused: quick question do the internal batteries on the (Tektroniks 211 oscilloscope) have to be able too hold a charge for the external or A.C power to make it function. I'm guessing they do or I have to keep looking for my lost manual. THANKS FOR INFO DON

Last edited:
I don't think so. I think the baterries are for cordless field use or something?

Thanks dknguyen That was kinda of what I was thinking the thing is pretty old so I may have to take it apart and see what I can find.

dknguyen is right, they don't need to be there for AC line use. Due to the age of the instrument ( late '70s maybe ) I would definitely get them out of there before they decide to barf all over the circuit board. Plugging in the unit and it trying to recharge bad batteries may also produce the same result.

I think it is pretty similar to the 212, and it had 10 "A" size in a pack. You could probably replace them easily enough.

Last edited:
I have taken the thing apart and found the connections on both battery packs leads where they connect to board avery beautiful torqouis blue stalagmite looking deposit. Well cleaned it off with wire brush and the rest of the oscilloscope insides look brand new. Now have too figure out why I can't get it to do anything. I have never really worked with them before. THANKS DON

P.S Battery packs besides the corrcsion look good too.will try putting a charge to them in a out of the way place and see what happens Don

Probably get hot, maybe even "blowed up reel gud" LOL

Had a search through the boat anchor archive, here's the service manual for the 212. Typical of TEK, and the military, its a solid manual, schematics, layout, waveforms, step by step troubleshooting.

https://bama.edebris.com/manuals/tek/212/

Hopefully you can get it going again. If the batteries internally shorted, suspect the line fuse, then work forward in the power supply.

If the batteries are faulty they may drag the voltage down from the powersupply and your scope may not function properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back