Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interferance between test equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuits

I am setting up a work bench in my office. I am receiveing interferance from my power supply (0-30V/5A) on my

oscilloposcope and 3MHz function generator. Is it just a distance thing of moving it away or is there something else

I have to take into consideration to fix this.

Kind regards circuits

Could be bad wiring, low gauge wire will do this, you need to be a little more explicit wlyhen you say receiving interference. There is well more than one type of interference.

Sceadwian

Thankyou for replying.
The manual from the oscilloscope said to keep it away due to the probability of interferance from the power supply, even the desk fluro causes some interferance. I wandered if the magnetic field from the transformer was causing a problem.

Circuits

What o'scope is this?

Hi,

I get interference if i put my wave generator on top of the scope when testing. The transformer in the power supply of
the generator has some leakage flux and it bothers the waveform as it modulates the CRT electron beam. This means
i cant get away with stacking it on top so i have to put it off to the side away from the scope case.

Last edited:
If you have poor wiring to the office the wiring itself could be to blame not the devices, no way to tell without a complete layout of your entire electrical situation.

Hi MrAl,

Thankyou for your reply. Some how you might be on the right track because my flourencent desk light did the same thing and I move it.

I have also put my power supply on a seperate power board and that has made a difference as well.

I will also move my function generator as well.

Kind regard Circuits.

Maybe you have a poor ground on scope probe. Does the problem exist with nothing attached to the scope?
Just a thought.

The manual from the oscilloscope said to keep it away due to the probability of interferance from the power supply, even the desk fluro causes some interferance.
Better 'scopes have shielding against magnetic fields. Yours does not, so distance is your only option.

Not the only option.
You could buy mumetal sheeting and shield it yourself. But that's only if the coupling is magnetic or electric fields, if it's something on the electrical system coming in on the mains wiring itself it's a totally different scenario. Know your noise, know your enemy =)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back