Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing the PCI bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

I am interested in interfacing the PCI bus (or at least seeing how it is done.) Does anyone know of any good (free) reading on how to interface the PCI bus? And has anyone here successfully interfaced the PCI bus? if so, what hardware did you use?

Thanks in advance :)

I am interested in interfacing the PCI bus (or at least seeing how it is done.) Does anyone know of any good (free) reading on how to interface the PCI bus? And has anyone here successfully interfaced the PCI bus? if so, what hardware did you use?

Thanks in advance :)

I have designed a PCI bus card and it is quite involved. Took a lot of reading and time. The trace layout was very critical. The device I interfaced to was a Xilinx virtex part and SRAM. The design was a ASIC emulator. Timing constraints are critical as the layout is. I spent 3 months making this design and had a good amount of support from apps engineers and others.

This undertaking is not simple, and I would suggest looking for a PCI board that is already designed that allows you to interface to a slower less complex bus. The development boards that I have seen are not cheap.

Yes, i was looking at an Xilinx development board, but didn't really want to shell out the 600 bucks.

Do you think it would be more beneficial to interface an ISA bus first? I haven't seen very many DIY PCI projects, but i've seen a good share of DIY ISA projects, so i'm assuming it might be a bit easier... But are the basic principles the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back