Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing shunt resistor current sensing with dsPIC microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

variaseng

Hi, I'm trying to monitor (read) the current in a motor using shunt resistor current sensing. The motor's current can go up to ~5A. I want to do this by using the ADC capability of dsPIC30f4011 microcontroller. Do I connect the voltage from the resistor directly or do I need other hardware to interface the current sense to the microcontroller?

Firstly you cannot afford to lose 5v across a resistor.
You have to work out how much voltage you can afford to lose.
This will give you the approx sensitivity of the circuit.
Alternatively you can measure the voltage-drop along one of the leads of the motor.
Or you can measure the noise from the commutation.

You do not mention if this is an AC or DC motor? You also do not mention the value of the shunt resistor you plan to use? Typically when using a shunt resistance they output a small mV signal that requires signal conditioning (amplification) to get the shunt output to a good useable scalable signal.

Ron

Enter what Colin stated. If you have a shunt resistance of 1 ohm and a current of 5 amps the voltage drop across the shunt will be 5 volts, that is 5 volts your load (motor) will never see. Per Colin, you can't do that. Just for some example purposes these are typical factory made current shunts. If we look at a typical 10 amp shunt the output with 10 amps flowing through the shunt is 50 mV. Therefore 0 to 10 amps is equal to 0 to 50 mV. That low level signal will need to be signal conditioned (amplified) to be of any value so we use a small IA (Instrumentation Amplifier) circuit. Note in the example the actual resistance of a 10 amp / 50 mV shunt would be .050 / 50 = .001 ohm. Current shunts are typically very, very low resistance.

You may want to give this a read to better understand what I am talking about.

Ron

A hall effect IC similar to an Allegro ACS712 come ready made for direct connection to a micro a-d pin. There are folks who package these chips on an easy to interface breakout board too.

Yeah, actually using a hall effect sensor as mentioned is a good way to go. I only addressed shunts as you mentioned them. I would give a hall effect some thought as it makes for a nice one stop package.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back