Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interfacing MCP3204 to monitor solar pane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post deleted

Last edited:
Hi,
I am interested in interfacing MCP3204 to monitor solar panel. Can you elaborate more on this?

hi,
The MCP3204 is a 4 channel SPI controlled 12 bit A2D converter IC, you require a PIC or other type of MCU in order to drive it.

It is possible to build a small interface for the MCP to connect it to the parallel port of a PC.

This is the circuit, if you are interested, I will post the Visual Basic 5 code.

Attachments

• AAesp08.gif
    AAesp08.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 667
Last edited:
Actually I need something that can be build in a short time,since my main project is about energy harvesting.

The two options I have posted are the only way I know how to use a MCP3204, define ' a short time'.:rolleyes:

The MCP3204 is a 4 channel SPI controlled 12 bit A2D converter IC, you require a PIC or other type of MCU in order to drive it.
please reread this again:) also the MCP3204 data sheet:)

Last edited:
hi,

It is possible to build a small interface for the MCP to connect it to the parallel port of a PC.

This is the circuit, if you are interested, I will post the Visual Basic 5 code.

Can I have the coding for Visual Basic 5?

Can I have the coding for Visual Basic 5?

hi,
This zip is the complete VB5 folder for the MCP3204.

Its not fully commented, so if you have a problem please ask.

The mcp3204a.exe in the zip will run, ensure that you have the free Visual Basic 5 Runtime files installed in your Widows/System folder.

The runtime files are a free web download.

E.

Attachments

• mcp3204VB5.zip
    29.9 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
hi,
This zip is the complete VB5 folder for the MCP3204.

Its not fully commented, so if you have a problem please ask.

The mcp3204a.exe in the zip will run, ensure that you have the free Visual Basic 5 Runtime files installed in your Widows/System folder.

The runtime files are a free web download.

E.

Thanks.

Hi,

I would guess that the 10 bit ADC on a mid range PIC chip like the 12F675 would be good enough. Who said you needed 12 bit accuracy or resolution?

For the op amp, other than CAL20 can I use other op amp?

hi,
Its not a CAL20, the printed text is not very clear. its a CA3240

What OPA's do you have already.?

E.

EDIT: I have edited the old drawing to make the CA3240 clear.

Last edited:
LM741. What is the function of the op amp? Is it to amplify the voltage?

hi,
The OPA's are to amplify any low level signal to a maximum of +5V for the MCP input.
If your signals are from 0v thru +5V then you do not require amplification.

A 741 OPA has a very poor specification and will not give the same results as a more 'modern' OPA.

For voltage signals greater than +5V, you will have to attenuate the signal.

For example if your solar panel is a nominal 12V, you will need a resistive potential divider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back