interfacing MCP3204 to monitor solar pane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am interested in interfacing MCP3204 to monitor solar panel. Can you elaborate more on this?

hi,
The MCP3204 is a 4 channel SPI controlled 12 bit A2D converter IC, you require a PIC or other type of MCU in order to drive it.

It is possible to build a small interface for the MCP to connect it to the parallel port of a PC.

This is the circuit, if you are interested, I will post the Visual Basic 5 code.

Attachments

• AAesp08.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:
Actually I need something that can be build in a short time,since my main project is about energy harvesting.

The two options I have posted are the only way I know how to use a MCP3204, define ' a short time'.

The MCP3204 is a 4 channel SPI controlled 12 bit A2D converter IC, you require a PIC or other type of MCU in order to drive it.
please reread this again also the MCP3204 data sheet

Last edited:

Can I have the coding for Visual Basic 5?

Can I have the coding for Visual Basic 5?

hi,
This zip is the complete VB5 folder for the MCP3204.

Its not fully commented, so if you have a problem please ask.

The mcp3204a.exe in the zip will run, ensure that you have the free Visual Basic 5 Runtime files installed in your Widows/System folder.

The runtime files are a free web download.

E.

Attachments

• mcp3204VB5.zip
    29.9 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

Thanks.

Hi,

I would guess that the 10 bit ADC on a mid range PIC chip like the 12F675 would be good enough. Who said you needed 12 bit accuracy or resolution?

For the op amp, other than CAL20 can I use other op amp?

hi,
Its not a CAL20, the printed text is not very clear. its a CA3240

What OPA's do you have already.?

E.

EDIT: I have edited the old drawing to make the CA3240 clear.

Last edited:
LM741. What is the function of the op amp? Is it to amplify the voltage?

hi,
The OPA's are to amplify any low level signal to a maximum of +5V for the MCP input.
If your signals are from 0v thru +5V then you do not require amplification.

A 741 OPA has a very poor specification and will not give the same results as a more 'modern' OPA.

For voltage signals greater than +5V, you will have to attenuate the signal.

For example if your solar panel is a nominal 12V, you will need a resistive potential divider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…