Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing a WIFI module to a microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

tattee

I've been reading a lot of WIFI stuffs lately and I'm quite sure it is possible to interface it to a microcontroller. Question is, is it as easy as connecting only two pins (TX & RX) from the WIFI module directly to the microcontroller? Some examples of WIFI modules are from ZeroG Wireless and G2 Microsystems.

To those who are experts of WIFI, please share your ideas here. Thanks!

Hi, I would need your suggestion regarding 32-bit ARM processors. I'm planning to use it instead of the microchip processor. Do you know of any, which are easy to code? Co'z I've read that 32-bit ARM are trickier to develop. Thanks!

The Cortex-M3 would be the easiest to code for. ST's STM32 or Texas Instruments Stellaris (formerly Luminary Micro Stellaris). I personally have used the Stellaris and it's a fairly straight forward upgrade from an 8bit. They specifically target people who are on the upgrade path from PIC's and have a lot of documentation targetted for that. The larger die's have Ethernet MAC/PHY's built in if you are planning to do wired Ethernet. They have a StellarisWare library that simplifies the hardware interface, but you definitely sacrifice code space and speed if you want to use it rather than access the hardware directly.

Thanks DirtyLude, I'll check it out.:) I wonder if the stellaris can support wifi?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back