Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing a PIC project to comunicate with a Palm Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel Gonzalez

Please any examples of PIC projects interfacing to a palm pilot program.
I am reading 4 different temperatures and based on that I made some switching with the PIC but I need to send the data to the palm on the time and date to keep it for future retrieval.
thanks...

Do these palm's have a serial port? (maybe with an adapter cable)

If so, you can use it as a link and use the pic's usart.

Yes, the palm pilot HotSync to any PC via RS232, but remember that this voltage is 12V not 5V as on the PIC.

RS232 is always +12/-12V; on the PC also

To make a pic communicate with this you need a level converter ic; like MAX232.

Search on the net for info about serial communication between a pic and PC. Should be just the same.

Actually it really depends on the Palm.... some have TTL Serial comunication ports and othes have the standar RS232. The conversion is made at the docking when they have a TTL serial port. Either way if ou connect it to the PIC you are going to have a good connection.

I have connected a lot of PIC straight to the serial port on the PC, without the need of a MAX232, as long as you keep the cable short and use some resitatnce to limit the current. Comunicatons are stable but I woldn't recommend that unless you have the TTL serial port in the palm. A TTl serial port is prone to noise.

I have used NSBASIC Palm to program palms and have been able to comunicate to a PC easly...... I bet a PIC would not be any different.

Good Luck

Ivan

ivancho said:
I have connected a lot of PIC straight to the serial port on the PC, without the need of a MAX232

Thats because newer pc's (pentiums1 , 2 ...) uart's have a greater tolerance and will work even with 5V...

Try it with a older system (386). It'll cause problems

That is a good point I've never tried with an older machine, but then again I don't even own an older machine..... actually I have test it with an 486 IBM laptop that I have.... it worked fine.....

I would guess that the PC receiving would have more trouble than the PIC receiving. But it is defenitly a good idea to use a MAX232 in your projects, I mostly use a straight connection when debugging :wink:

Ivancho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back