Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interesting old device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebi

I just found this deep in my drawer and i'm just curious maybe somebody can tell me what is this thing exactly. Some variation of remain-magnet relais, as i think for impulse-counter.(maybe in old phone centrale) It work perfectly: every 24VDC impulse pull the first, second, etc. contacts, and remain without energy. I can make a reset with opposite polarity voltage. Nice oldtimer device....

Attachments

• P1010997.JPG
    P1010997.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 360
It is a Mix and Geness (I'm not sure about the spelling) relay. It was used to count pulses in electromechanical telephone exchanges.

It is designed so that when a pulse is applied to its operate coil, the first armature operates. If you look at how it works, you will note that the other armatures cannot operate since the magnetic flux holds them in the released position. When the pulse ends, the flux collapses and the next armature moves under spring pressure into a mid way position. Residual flux keeps the first armature operated. Thus when the next pulse is applied, the second armature operates. This continues until the pulses stop. The last armature operated indicates the number of pulses.

There is a release coil that applies a reverse flux to allow the armatures to release when required.

Len

Thanks for reply, Len. I think in Europe never used this device in telephone exchanges. So in my country nobody, never seen this...

Thanks again: Zsolt

Believe it or not, parts of Europe used these till 10 years ago...!
Most phones sold in Ireland contain a switch to select between pulse and tone dialing. Although the exchanges went digital and moved over to tone dialing, they still accept pulse dialing phones...

I would not be surprised if that was only 15/20 years old...

I spoke to a friend who knows more about these relays than me. He said they were used extensively in PABXs.

They were made in Austria. He has data on them if you want it. Just tell us what its type number is and any other details eg. coil resistances.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back