Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interesting 'new' PIC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Recently I had an Email from MicroChip, with special offers on some development boards - and one was particularly cheap, so I ordered some.

The boards I got use the 40 pin 16F18877 (there's also a 28 pin 16F18855, but not on the development boards), it's an enhanced 16F device (like the 16F1827's I've been using) - but the main advantage is memory, it has 32K of 14 bit program memory, and 4K of RAM. It also has an internal clock of up to 32MHz, and a stunning array of peripherals - many of which I don't even understand :D .

I've currently got one running an ST7735 TFT display, and it seems pretty fast - the 16F1827 didn't have enough memory for the colour TFT's. I've also had it running a 5110 monochrome LCD as well, but memory requirements on those are quite small, although these now give enough RAM for a screen buffer.

So if you're looking for a cheap mid-range PIC with lot's of memory and facilities, it might be worth taking a look at the 16F18877 or 16F18855 devices.

I rather missed out another major advantage of these chips, they include PPS (Peripheral Pin Select), this allows you to re-map many of the peripheral pins to a good number of different I/O pins. It's a feature that I've really liked on the 24F series, so it's nice to have it on a 16F.

I been playing with one of those for months it's a cool chip I ordered a bunch of the 16F18877 and the 16F18855
My development board has a 16F18855 you just copy the hex to a usb drive and it loads it to the chip. the programmer looks like a usb drive.

Features
  • Enhanced Mid-range Core with 49 Instruction, 16 Stack Levels
  • Adjustable Internal Oscillator (up to 32MHz)
  • 2x 10-bit PWMs
  • 5x Capture, Compare, PWM (CCP)
  • Complementary Waveform Generator (CWG)
  • Numerically Controlled Oscillator (NCO)
  • 4x Configurable Logic Controller (CLC)
  • 10-bit ADC with Computation (ADC2)
  • 5-bit Digital to Analog Converter (DAC)
  • Data Signal Modulator (DSM)
  • Zero Cross Detect (ZCD)
  • Cyclical Redundancy Check (CRC/SCAN)
  • Windowed Watchdog Timer (WWDT)
  • Peripheral Pin Select (PPS)
  • Enhanced Power-On/Off-Reset
  • Low-Power Brown-Out Reset (LPBOR)
  • Programmable Brown-Out Reset (BOR)
  • In Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP)
  • PIC16LF18877 (1.8V – 3.6V)
  • PIC16F18877 (2.3V – 5.5V)
Parameter Name
Value
Program Memory Type
Flash
Program Memory (KB)
CPU Speed (MIPS)
RAM Bytes
Data EEPROM (bytes)
Digital Communication Peripherals
1-UART, 2-SPI, 2-I2C
Capture/Compare/PWM Peripherals
5 CCP,
Timers
3 x 8-bit, 4 x 16-bit
ADC
35 ch, 10-bit
Comparators
Temperature Range (C)
-40 to 125
Operating Voltage Range (V)
1.8 to 5.5
Pin Count
Low Power
Yes
Cap Touch Channels

Last edited:
Where do I send it I have 20% off the Curiosity Development Boards which come with the 16f18855
You got watch Arrow Electronics Inc too great deals on uC from microchip

I Really like this next on my list to play with.
Features. Modulates a carrier signal with digital data to create custom carrier synchronized output waveforms; Combine on and/or off-chip source signals; Polarity selection on output; Paired with the 16-bit PWM to create LED dimming engine. Freezes op amp compensation during “OFF”; LOAD disconnect ...

I been playing with one of those for months it's a cool chip I ordered a bunch of the 16F18877 and the 16F18855
My development board has a 16F18855 you just copy the hex to a usb drive and it loads it to the chip. the programmer looks like a usb drive.

Have you had any luck automating the process?, according to the instructions you can add an option to run 'after building' in MPLAB X so it automatically copies the HEX file to the board. However, I can't get it to work, and it ends with an error message.

It works with the mplab x on the cloud but I have to place it on my computer copy and paste

I've got it working OK now, the documentation said to use a back slash "cp ${ImagePath} J:\", using a forward slash "cp ${ImagePath} J:/" makes it work OK.

With that added MPLAB X compiles the code and loads it directly to the board, saving the 'drag and drop' routine.

It's a neat chip I've learned a lot with the mcc and that chip you can set it up in seconds with mcc.

And read the mcc .h files and learn a bunch.

It's a neat chip I've learned a lot with the mcc and that chip you can set it up in seconds with mcc.

And read the mcc .h files and learn a bunch.

I must admit I really don't like MCC :D

However, having said that, I do find it useful to generate things like clock oscillator settings and PPS, then cut and paste the parts I want out of the code. To be fair though, the PPS settings on the 16F18877 aren't half as confusing as those for the 24F series|!,

I can see that when it dont get things right its hard to find the mistakes.

The Old geezer did not get that 16F18877 dev bd email offer :( but i ordered a couple chips anyway ... Only tried MCC once that was enough ...

MCC not bad thing it let's you set the chip setting . Only part I didn't like is it name's thing wrong sometimes.
I Like to never figure a error out and it had named esuart1 there was no esuart1 only a esuart.
But to get just the values it's good for that changing port pins osc adc dac i2c it saves bunch of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back