Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

insulating a case...need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krogersaurus

ok, so i have a case (specifically an altoids can) that im going to put a circuit inside of. porblem is, the inside of the can is conductive. is there some magical paint-type substance that would insulate the can to make it non-conductive?

The magical substance can be wood, plastic or practically anything that is not metal or graphite.:D

Paint is not thick enough to protect against mains voltages and is not considered to be insulation, you need to use a thick layer of any of the materials mentioned above.

If you are keen on using a "paint", have a look at this stuff, more of a plastic coating than paint.

Conventional paint is a bad idea.

You do not say how your circuit is constructed, but if it is on a piece of circuit board or strip board you could fix it to the inside of the tin using double sided "sticky fixers".
These usually have enough thickness to hold the board in place and provide clearance between the circuit and the surface of the tin, if not use two sticky fixers, one on top of the other.
I have used this technique myself a few times when I needed a quick and dirty method of installing a modification into something.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back