Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Instek GPS-3030DD Lab Power Supply Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonSea

Most Helpful Member
A while back, I noticed the voltage on my Instek GPS-3030DD power supply wandering over a wide range. Crap, something's wrong with it. I turned it off and left repairs for another day.

Yesterday was the day to repair it. My first thought was bum filter caps, with another likely possibility being noisy pots. I opened it up and had a peak around. There's just one large filter cap and it looked fine - none of the bulging of a bad electrolytic cap. Nothing else on the main board looked bad.

I hadn't actually checked to output voltage; I had only noted the voltage fluctuations on the meter display. Checking the output voltage with a DVM showed it to be perfectly stable. The power supply's voltmeter was all over the place and wrong by a few volts, but the output voltage was fine.

Must be a meter problem. I turned my attention to the meter. On the back of the meter, there's a small board with two 5 volt supplies, and a very bulging electrolytic cap. I think the problem has been located!

These two 5 volt supplies are fed by separate windings from the power transformer. I suspect that the metering circuits for voltage and current are completely separate, thus the need for isolated 5 volt supplies.

20190127_180000.jpg

This cap is on the output of a 7805 regulator. 1000uF at 16 volts. I have a few caps of that rating, but the lead spacing is too small. The 1000uF at 25v caps I had were a perfect fit. I replaced the caps on both supplies and I was back in business. Steady meter readings at the correct voltage.

A quick repair returned my power supply to service. Not bad for a power supply with a calibration sticker dated 2009 from a previous life before I bought it at a pawn shop.

I was surprised that this power supply is still a current product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back