Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Instek 30V/3A power supply design, dual transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalt60

Well, I think Ive asked enough questions here to pretty well know how to design a linear power supply. For example, I know my old Power Designs uses a variac instead of a regular transformer, to minimize voltage drop.

Now, it has been suggested to me that many power supplies use a center tapped transformer, so the transformer outputs either full voltage or half voltage, to minimize voltage drop. I was just curious what the design of my Instek supply I use at work might be. I can hear a solenoid activate 3 times when switching from 0V to 30V. This happens at approximately 7V, 15V, and 22V.

So if I had to guess, Id say this power supply probably uses dual center tapped transformers. Do you guys agree?

-Chris P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back